Chapter 46 - Nick: Something Special

Chapter 46 - Nick: "Something Special"

Nick and Adrian walked into the hyena's residence, the mouse laughing as they came through the door. "Gods, I can't get over the look on their faces when you told them we used to see each other."

"I'm surprised they were surprised considering they take people from Austin. The odds of knowing someone can't be that low."

Adrian stopped, looking around Nick's place. "Damn, Nicky! You still don't have any furniture! How long has it been since you got this place?"

"Two days," Nick told him. "I would have gotten furniture, but . . . ." He wiggled his head. "Let's just say my first mission didn't go how we hoped."

Adrian came over, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Shit. What happened?"

Nick shook his head. "I have a bed. We can sit and talk there."

"Inviting me to bed already, huh?" Adrian snickered.

"No," the hyena told him, and the duo made their way to Nick's room. They removed their shoes and overcoats, then sat down facing each other. "But damn, it feels so good to see you. Like, I saw Nora when I first came in, but I haven't seen her since, despite being back in the Medical Sect recently."

Adrian swallowed. "Yeah. Feels good to see someone I know other than my partner, for once. I haven't seen you in such a long time." He looked to the side, rather sadly. "It's surreal having you here."

"Shit!" Nick put a hand to his forehead. "I was supposed to go furniture shopping with Richard after we met with Iwai! Gods dammit, why did I make other plans right in front of him?!"

Adrian winced, pulling at his collar. "Ah . . . I didn't know. But he probably understands, right?"

Nick sighed. "But I wanted to . . . go with him . . . ."

The mouse pointed to his pocket. "You can call him with your phone, you know. I can hang out another time."

The hyena exhaled. "No. It's fine. We'll go another time. So, how long have you been here?"

"Nora and I actually joined together when we were nineteen. You know how we liked going out super early in the morning and walking around? Like at 4 AM? Well, somehow, the Mortal Guard found us one of those mornings. They were there for Nora but didn't have a problem with me there. Apparently, her mom was part of the Medical Sect, so they wanted her. Lineage and stuff. It took some convincing for me, but I basically ended up joining for the cool magic abilities."

"That sounds a lot like you," Nick chuckled.

"Ugh, and then I joined, and there were all these rules, and I was never gonna see my family again . . . I wish they had said that in the pitch. But I guess no one would join, then."

"Yeah, there are a lot of things I question about this place," Nick huffed. "Especially after that first mission . . . I'm having trouble calling it home."

"Maybe it's the fact that you have no furniture," Adrian joked.

"Hah . . . no . . . Anyway, how have you been? You look good in your Guard Garb."

"You don't look so bad yourself," Adrian winked. "I've been good. I never realized that I would be so good at magical combat, but I'm one of their best magicians! Which is why I'm on the King case."

"So only the best members and kids are chosen for it," Nick pointed out rather snidely.

". . . Uh, yeah. I guess you could say that. Though, the kids are usually in Timeline Travel."