7. Something to Ponder On

Aleksander.

Aleksander, to some it might be far too ordinary a name but to Alina it felt right. It chimed true in her heart.

Not like Kirigan.

Kirigan was like one of the coats the orphans would get occasionally in the summer, donated by patrons of the orphanage or some who wished to make connections with the Duke. They were often not as fine as one would expect from the well-to-do. Occasionally there was something nice but it was snatched up by the matron of the orphanage to be made into something else. The other coats and clothes were distributed among the orphans according to age.

Sometimes they'd put on one when the cold winds began to blow to find that their arms got stuck above their head but the coat wouldn't close or allow them to put their hands all the way through the sleeves.

Kirigan was like something well worn, used, ill-fitting but necessary. Alina suspected it was one of his many aliases.

However, Aleksander....she knew that was his real name.

Alina could feel him watching her as she warned the healer, and although she felt it may show too much of herself she couldn’t help her telling him she would protect him. She knew he didn’t need it. He wasn’t the little boy in the memory anymore. He could protect himself, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t tell him she was there for him. It didn’t mean she couldn’t tell him that he was a part of her family, a family that had grown pretty much overnight. 

“So you got married without me?” As soon as she was back in the tent she strode back to Mal and Zoya, her hands on her hips. 

Zoya merely raised her eyebrow, “Most soulmate bonding rites are private affairs like ours was, only the officiant and the couple. Anything else is just an excuse for a lavish party.” 

Alina was very tempted to do a whole ‘woe is me’ dramatics stunt but she was trying to be mature in front of her soulmate so she held back. 

“Well, I suppose I can forgive you.” 

“The officiant often leaves the couple as soon as the last words are said, it is not unheard of them sealing the bond right then and there.” Zoya grinned as she continued on as if Alina hadn’t spoken. As Alina was about to open her mouth and ask a question, Zoya said bluntly, “Sex Alina they often immediately have sex after the rites are finished. So unless you like watching that sort of thing…” 

“No! No!” Alina turned away forgetting that Aleksander was behind her and could see her turning completely red. 

Mal chided, “Zoya!” 

Zoya lightly smacked him, “She needs to get her reactions under wraps, or else they’ll eat her alive at the Little Palace.” 

Alina patted her cheeks trying to reign in her embarrassment. It didn’t help that her soulmate was suppressing chuckles on the other side of the tent. His dark kefta clad shoulders shaking slightly as he “looked over” some paperwork. 

She cleared her throat, “Onto the next subject, since I summoned light in the Fold I expect we are all going to the Little Palace now.” 

Zoya spoke up, “The drüskelle will expect you to go by carriage. We should go by horseback.” 

Mal and Aleksander both let out chuckles at the same time. Her soulmate turned and glanced at Mal, who raised his eyebrow. 

“The draft horse?” 

Mal nodded. 

Alina let out a huff of air, “I am better with horses now. He was ornery, old and…” She flipped her braid over her shoulder, “It doesn’t matter anymore I have gotten practice since my cartography unit had to move around quite a lot over the last couple of years.”