chapter six

Izuku caught himself against the lockers, books weighing him back as his gaze fluttered over to Mina. She bumped into him accidentally when she'd rushed over to Ochaco's side.

"Sorry!" She yelped, pink contacts on full display from the shocked expression in her eyes. Ochaco looked startled too and her hand lifted to Deku's shoulder but the nerd's cheeks were flushed crimson. His head turned to the side as he took in a deep breath, an airy chuckle falling from his lips as he played the situation off well enough.

Katsuki stood with Kirishima and Denki at the other end of their school hallway, both boys focused on a conversation Katsuki hadn't been paying attention to.

Mina had been walking with them until now.

He watched the exchange with raised eyebrows. How obviously Izuku was flustered by a woman had Katsuki clenching his fist in irritation. Not because he was jealous of the effects Mina had on him but because it meant his advances weren't working. Or at least they weren't working well enough.

His mind drifted back to nights previous and something in him put out the fire churning in his gut.

"What?"

Izuku laughed with raised eyebrows and averted eyes. His chuckle was light and he seemed uncomfortable, but Katsuki refused to let up.

He didn't believe the jumbled words falling from the nerd's mouth. Deku? In a band? How stupid did he think Katsuki was?

"Yeah, it happened a couple months ago. Mostly by accident.."

Katsuki had been playing into Deku's games all night. Whether it was the drowsiness from the circumstances or the hit to his head that had him acting differently, he couldn't tell you. But right now, he came to the conclusion that this was what had to be done if he wanted to win the bet.

Swallowing his pride and leaning close to Izuku and farther out the window, he gripped his window cile with a firm grip and said, "Do you really expect me to believe that?"

Izuku looked struck, dark olive eyes widened and mouth slightly agape. It took a lot of strength for Katsuki not to laugh.

"I-i'm telling the truth! It's me, Jirou, Momo, and Shinso! We go practice at Momo's house every Sunday, I have no reason to lie to you."

Izuku pouted at the smug look on Katsuki's face. Jirou did mention she was in a band, but he never would've expected the nerd to be a part of it. "And what instrument do you play?"

At that, the nerd blushed. His body had gravitated back towards the window and Katsuki mentally cheered himself on at that simple fact. He could draw Deku right back in with ease.

"I-I actually sing..."

"Ooo do you now?" Katsuki was smirking now, eyes blown into a mischievous stare that had Izuku latching on to his every word. Katsuki pulled himself into the house just as Izuku had done and leaned out, mimicking the boy's stance as half his body practically reached towards Deku's.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Izuku challenged, eyes set in a newly determined stare.

"It's just, I've heard you sing. You're not that good."

Katsuki snickered at the gasp he heard as he quickly escaped Izuku's verbal insults and shut his window tight. Peeking out, he watched as the nerd grumbled, doing the same as Katsuki and slamming his window for good measure.

The blond would be nervous if he hadn't been joking. Izuku is a great singer, Katsuki would know.

He was snapped from his thoughts when a heavy hand clapped his shoulder.