Chapter 1

1st January 1912

It was a windy afternoon again, we went to a grand ball last night and there were many fine men there, but none who caught my attention. I deeply wanted to leave, but unlike me, my sisters talked to many eligible bachelors all who were extremely unattractive.

So this morning we went to watch to parade in the town. There I met my friend Amelia Grey. We talked for what seemed hours, about the new hairstyles and new dresses and how the village dressmaker seemed to keep making the same old dresses all year round.

This evening Granny came to dinner, whether it was for the conversation or the latest gossip, I shall never know. Tonight’s food was Leek Soup and Salmon. Afterwards we went into the Lounge where the men had Whisky and the Lady’s; including myself had a game of poker.

Every time I wake up I seem to have the same thought, “What a boring life I have” although I didn’t want to have a boring life. I wanted to explore and to live. However I couldn’t I was told that once I had married a Lord or Duke that he would tell me my opinions.

Today Papa interviewed one of the many men who were to replace Mr White as Chauffeur , once he had retired. Mr John, Mr Call and Mr Branson. Mr John went first and Papa had quite a disturbed face while interviewing him, after Mr John had left the room Papa had looked at me and swiped his finger acroos his neck; as to say that he was not at all pleased. It was generally the same interview with Mr Call really, he was polite but at the same time, odd. I did not even have to look at Papa after Mr Call had left the room, I just knew.

Finally the last interviewer, me along with Papa were thankful, Mr Branson walked into the room with his hat in his hand, looking very proud. “Mr Tom Branson, Milord.”

“How do you do” replied Papa, looking very happy indeed.

He was the one, I knew and so did Papa.

There was something about him, I just couldn’t put my finger on!