Chapter 3

11th January 1912

Mama had called upon me to come into the dining room. “Yes Mama?” I answered feeling very tired and weak.

“Mr Carlyle is coming here for dinner this evening, and I would like for you to talk to him!” she said very proudly as if it was an accomplishment to Mr Carlyle to come her to Downton,

“Why me Mama, Mr Carlyle is very dull and does not talk about anything apart from his amount of money” I disliked Mr Carlyle for many reasons one being he was rude and two being he had already been in a relationship with my two older sisters and he had left them heartbroken.

“Sybil, Mr Carlyle is a respectable and generous man, and you shall be kind to him, what has he ever done to you?”  I felt like screaming inside.

Around 2.00pm I went down to the garage for a walk and it just so happened that Tom was there.

“Lady Sybil!” he shouted after me

“Oh hello Tom, how are you today?”

“Very good Milady, why are you walking around here all on your own?”

“I just needed some fresh air, that’s all”

“Lady Sybil, I would like you to know that if you were ever worried, and I know I am just the Chauffeur but I would like you to know that I am a good listener!”

“Huh…thank you Tom, I’ll see you later” I replied while walking away.

Tom Branson my new friend.

That evening there was a large thump at the door, I went to see who it was and it was Mr Carlyle looking very wet, I desperately tried not to laugh. Tom was driving the car he came in and as I shut the door I gave a smile and a little wave and he returned it with a cheeky grin.

Mr Carlyle had a headache and so he went to bed straight away, I stayed downstairs for a while and a read a book in the library. Papa came in looking very angered.

“Whatever is the matter Papa?”

“I have been told that you have been hanging around with the Chauffeur chap Branson?”

“Yes and?”

“Sybil I have strictly told you not to mix business with pleasure!”

“Well Papa yes you make a good point but Branson and the servants are not my business as I do not give them their pay checks at the end of the month, you do!”

“I mean it Sybil, I do not want to hear of you and Branson talking about anything apart from when you would like to go in to town, do I make myself clear?”