Snowy Paths: Chapter One

Snow crunching as feet trudge above it. So beautiful yet so vicious and deadly if spent time longer with it. The more you love the more it would kill you.

He smiles as he places the straw dolls down on the cold snow. With a smile he wipes his running nose with those mud stained hands.

"A-niáng, A-diē and A-Ying."

He giggles and looks at the dolls. Giving out a sigh as his smile remained with his brows furrowed. A tear fell but he quickly smeared it on his dirt filled face.

"A-Ying must stay happy, A-niáng told him to smile so A-Ying will smile."

Giving out another smile from his quivering mouth. Just as he was about to let out tears again, he sees a child staring at him from a close distance. He lifted the corner of his lips and gave a toothy grin along with a soft scoff. The little boy walked towards him as he spun the toy drum in his hand.

"Are you not cold?"

The little boy asked. Wei Ying let out a laugh then grinned.

"I'm fine, it's just a little cold."

The little boy scanned the person infront of him. They were very malnourished and has wounds in multiple areas. Some bleeding and some deep. His brows furrowed.

"Stay. I'll come back."

Wei Ying tilted his head in question but he just nodded and agreed.

"Alright, Wei Ying will wait."

"Mn."

The little boy hurried back to someone or a group of people, leaving Wei Ying in the snow in wait. The snow once again began to pour, as if the God of Winter is in joy. After a long wait, the little boy came back with an adult, much intimidating by the fact he has a goatee. Wei Ying gave out the same toothy grin as the middle aged man was surprised to see such child shuddering in the cold. The man quickly took off a layer of his robes and walked towards the kid. The little boy besides him was surprised.

"Shifu, won't you get cold?"

"The injured is the priority now, A-Zhan, why didn't you tell me sooner?"

The man had swept Wei Ying off of the dirty snow that was stained with dirt and blood most likely mixed.

"No no! Kind Sir, please don't pick me up! A-Ying is dirty, please let this boy down."

Wei Ying complained as he was being wrapped in the finest white robes he has ever seen.

"Needn't to complain young man, tell me what is your name?"

"This young man is Wei Ying, Kind Sir."

The mans' eyes widen, as if he had heard of that surname somewhere before but he brushed the thought off when he noticed that the robe was spreading with red. As he scanned the robe, the back was coloring faster. His eyes lowered and his face painted with a frown.

"I am Lan Qiren, let me take care of you for now, A-Ying."

"Take care of A-Ying?"

"Shifu, will we take him back to Gusu with us?"

"Yes A-Zhan, we will."

"Gu...su?"

Lan Qiren gave the Wei Ying a soft smile.

"Enough talking, let us take you back to the inn."

A few walks between crowds and empty streets, they finally entered the Inn where Lan disciples were resting in. Eyes landed on the small figure Lan Qiren was carrying, and that figure was being held by Lan Zhan by the robe. That figure giving Lan Zhan smiles and convincing words. A disciple came forward and bowed down.