Chapter Fourteen

listen to daddy issues by the neighborhood & empty by chase atlantic while reading

xoxo

RAFE

RAFE

Sweat drips from my jawline and down my neck as I sit in the passenger seat of the car. Even with the air blasting on low, my body is doing everything it can to cool itself down. Waves of nausea ebb and flow, causing me to push my thumb and index finger on a pressure point. It helps for a second, but the withdrawal symptoms are too powerful. The only thought running through my head is cocaine. I am willing to do anything to get it, which is one of the reasons I sent Avery inside. All she had to do was get the silver Rolex from my bedside table drawer and bring it to me. That alone could give Barry what he needed for at least a few months. My mouth begins to water at the thought.

I look at the time on the dashboard, it reads 9:47 am. Although it feels like I've been sitting here for an eternity, it's only been ten minutes. She should be out by now, what's taking her so long? Anxiety starts to creep into my head. What if this was just some sick joke to lure the cops to my house and arrest me. That's why she hasn't come out yet because she's waiting for them to arrive.

Rafe, breathe.

I sit in the leather seat for a few more moments before taking matters into my own hands. My head pounds as I stand, feeling dizziness take over. I press my hand against the tinted window and regain my balance. There are three of everything right now, each mirror of the original looking more distorted. My feet slowly carry me down the stone driveway, careful not to walk too fast in fear of vomiting or passing out. When I reach the back door, Rose comes into view. She rushes over to me and swings the door open.

"Rafe, what happened?"

"I'm fine, Rose. I need something from my room." I speak firmly, moving past her and towards the stairs.

My stepmother pulls my hand. "Your father isn't going to like that you're here. Make it quick."

I take each step slowly, holding onto the guard rail with clammy hands. My breathing is shallow but calm as I climb the staircase. The ten steps feel like fifty. When I reach the top, the door to my room is open slightly proving that Avery was here. I step into the barren room and dig through different drawers, empty bags of coke litter them and it takes everything in me to not turn on a flashlight and look for any extra.

My vision blurs slightly and I screw my eyes closed. The action causes vomit to rise in my stomach like it has been all day. I'm used to the feeling of pushing it down by now, if I've made it this far, I can continue without throwing up all over everything, including myself. I pull open the drawer and dig around for the Rolex. Where is it? I pull the handle so hard the metal rips from the inside causing it to break into pieces on the ground. I crouch down and look through the stack of papers, pens and bags finding no sign of the watch.