Chapter Twenty Seven

song for this chapter: it's not living (if it's not with you) by the 1975

get ready for a long one hehe

It has been two weeks since Avery spoke to her dad

It has been two weeks since Avery spoke to her dad. He tried to reach out the first week, calling and texting, even showing up at The Chateau, which as you can imagine, didn't end well. If the boys had it their way, he would have been bludgeoned to the point of needing surgery on his face. The cops were called and he was escorted off the property, she is eighteen after all, not needing parental supervision any longer. The second week was radio silence, which she was both concerned and thankful for. Finally after everything this summer she wanted a break from all of the drama, and she would get it no matter what. Fourth of July weekend is the most sought after weekend in The Outer Banks. Tourists from all over the country come to spend time at the beach before school starts, and the locals love to see what kind of trouble they can create. The pogues have been up all night planning their stunts, with the help of alcohol and JJ's mind. For the first time in a long time, Avery feels whole. She has her best friends surrounding her, and the blonde haired, blue eyed boy who crept into her heart has been thought of less and less.

On the other side of the island, Rafe sits in the waiting area at the Kildare County Jail. His legs shake, palms sweaty and a killer pang shoots through his head due to the lack of cocaine and nerves of seeing his dad for the first time since he had been arrested. He didn't know what to say, or how to say it. The Bahamas helped clear his head slightly on the whole thing, and he came to a bit of an understanding of what he needs to do next. Yet, as much as he wants to hate him, he doesn't think he will ever be able to. Which is why he is spending his twenty first birthday with him. Anyone who knows Rafe has been making plans for him, knowing Fourth of July weekend is the time on the island where everyone cuts loose, but he hasn't felt like celebrating. Every person makes him think of her. He hears her laughter in the silence and sees her face in the dark. No matter the amount of drugs or alcohol he consumes, she doesn't leave his mind.

RAFE

"You're good to come back." Shoupe says, leading me towards a large metal door. The same door I walked in three weeks ago ready to be locked away for life. It still haunts me to this day. Loud banging echos through the hall, the prisoners making as much commotion as they can to scare me. Fucking animals. I round the corner and come face to face with my dad. His hair looks more grey than usual, and the bags under his eyes are deafening. However, his blue eyes are still the same, which scares the shit out of me more than anything.

I sit down in the chair across from the plexiglass window and pick up the phone. "Rafe." My dad breathes into it, less anxious already now that I am here. His voice calms me down slightly, but the thoughts running through my head make me feel otherwise.