Chapter Twenty One

song for this chapter: take you down by illenium

My arm slinks into Rafe's as the two of us walk towards the beach

My arm slinks into Rafe's as the two of us walk towards the beach. Loud rap music plays, muting the sound of conversations; conversations that involve us. Every pair of eyes focuses on he and I, looking at our joined arms and happy expressions.

Tonight is the first appearance he and I have made since myself and the pogues have stopped speaking. It's been a week and there has been nothing but radio silence. The thought of seeing them here would normally make me feel anxious, but instead it makes me livid. I know JJ will try and start something with me, but the more alcohol and cocaine I put into my body, the less likely I will be able to control what I say.

"These people need fucking cameras, it'll last longer."

Rafe snickers, "no one else has anything better to do than worry about other peoples lives."

I nod in agreement and walk up the hill where the coolers are. Seltzers, beer, and mixed drinks fill the ice and I reach for a mango flavored drink. Rafe grabs a beer and cracks it open quickly, bringing it to his lips. I can't imagine it tastes good, he and I have been drinking since the early afternoon to prepare for this outing. The seltzer reaches my stomach and it churns slightly at the amount I already have in my system but I swallow it down.

"Let's do some bumps before everyone tries to buy it off of me." Rafe says and I follow him towards the tree line. He sets the key in the clear bag and brings the powder to his nose. He repeats the action and brings it to my own and I inhale deeply. The drip hits the back of my throat immediately and I take a swig of my drink to flush it down. The two of us take one more before the blonde slides it back into his pocket.

Topper and Kelce come into view and Rafe nods at the two guys.

"Hey Rafe, Avery." Topper smiles and brings me into a hug. I wrap my arm around his waist and smile, "hey guys, long time no see."

Kelce hugs me as well and the four of us stand in a circle with drinks in our hands.

"Have y'all seen Sarah lately?" I feel my eyes roll at the question and I know Rafe's do too. However, I am intrigued on why he wants to know.

"No, Avery officially cut them off. Full kook, finally." The blonde smirks down at me and I grin up at him with a drunken smile.

Topper nods slowly, "now who's gonna look out for her?"

"Relax, Top. She's eighteen, she can handle herself. Besides, with John B. in jail, there's not much she can do. Don't go all stalker ex boyfriend on my sister."

He throws his arms up in defense, "I'm just curious, bro. You know how the pogues plan shit behind closed doors. Avery, am I wrong?"

Rafe wraps his arm around my shoulders. "What you're not going to do is pester my friend with questions. Keep your nose out of shit that doesn't involve you."