Chapter 1

The gravel in the forecourt crunches under Harry's Chelsea boots as he makes his way toward the open field, putting distance between himself and the large and imposing Bettington House with every step. He'd enjoyed his extra half an hour of sleep this morning in the luxurious four poster bed before wandering downstairs for breakfast, the additional time courtesy of the fact there are now only five contestants left and less time is needed for their pre-show interviews.

The toe of his boot catches on the edge of the grass and he stumbles, righting himself just before he ends up face first on the lawn. He pauses, sighs, and then continues on, hoping that's the only misstep he makes today.

The stark white walls and roof of the Bake Off tent gleam brightly in the morning sun as Harry walks over the small wooden bridge that leads to the main tent, the smaller contestant tent, and the allocated area for the pre-show taping that's set up under a large willow tree out of the way.

A zip of electricity shoots through his veins at having made it this far in the competition, after this weekend it's the semi-finals and then onto the finale. He's been a massive fan of the show since it started and he'd decided to take the plunge and apply this year, earning a coveted place on the show, much to his surprise and delight; twelve contestants, ten weekends, and thirty bakes - assuming he makes it that far. There's no prize money at the end, unlike other reality shows of the same ilk, just a trophy, a bunch of flowers, and bragging rights as the winner of The Great British Bake Off.

The time away from home has been a strain on his business, Stems By Styles, a flower shop in a thriving village up north. It's his pride and joy and he's worked hard to make it a success but he'd dearly like to be able to add a small bakery and cafe in the conservatory at the back which overlooks the rolling fields, bringing his two loves together; now he just has to convince the bank to loan him the money, something he hopes will be aided by his time on the show.

Plus, he's always loved baking, happy memories of helping his grandma in her kitchen creating delectable treats for their family, and even if he doesn't win, he'll have this wonderful experience to look back on.

This is the eighth weekend in the tent and he's only one week away from making the semi-finals. The competition is fierce, but he'd been named Star Baker last weekend so his confidence is high. Each week, there is a theme and this week is Bread Week. It's going to be the toughest one yet, not least of all because one of the two judges, Paul Hollywood, prides himself on being the King Of Bread. Harry needs all the confidence he can muster.

The judges and hosts have been fascinating to get to know, no longer two-dimensional figures on a screen, but here, in the flesh as real people. The hosts, Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, have such a unique brand of humour and a skillful way of bouncing off each other so effortlessly, in addition to the way they interact with the contestants with such kindness and empathy. And as for the judges, Mary Berry is well-deserving of her national treasure status and her baking experience and knowledge is something Harry admires greatly. Paul is certainly an interesting one. Always professional and courteous, and he obviously has incredible skills; his palette is not to be trifled with. But Paul is also a bit gruff and full of himself and certainly not someone Harry has warmed to easily.

He continues across the field and around the back of the main tent. The cloudless skies are a rare brilliant blue today and there's a warm breeze fluttering his curls, both of which are a welcome change after the drab and gloomy weather they've had recently.

As the pre-show taping area comes into view he sees Mara already in the chair being interviewed, her thick black hair pulled into a tight bun as always, turquoise-rimmed glasses sitting on the tip of her nose, silver chains draped around her neck belying her thirty-something age. The large willow tree behind her with its low hanging branches provides the picturesque backdrop for the shot and the clips the producers will use as cutaways and intros for the episode.