Chapter 6

Harry turns off the quiet country road and stops in front of an imposing set of electric gates wedged in between a high hedge on either side. He rolls down his window and presses the buzzer as per Louis' instructions, waving goofily into the camera. The gate mechanism clicks and it starts sliding back into the housing until there's enough room and Harry drives through. The drive is long and straight, bordered by tall oak trees, and cutting through open fields of green.

He isn't sure what he expected Louis' house to look like, but as it comes into view he's pleasantly surprised at its understated appearance. It's large, of course, as someone of Louis' wealth would imply, but it's not gaudy or over the top.

A large three-car garage sits off to one side, detached from the house, the red brick walls in the process of being consumed by crawling vines. The house itself has two floors visible from the front, it's stone construction indicating that it's much older than the garage which must be a newer addition. It's symmetrical, with four windows on each side of a tall wooden door, flower beds butted up against the house and snaking around the building out of sight. It seems forthright but homey, strong but welcoming, and Harry thinks that it fits Louis perfectly.

Harry pulls his car alongside Louis' black Range Rover which is parked outside the garage, his own red Volkswagen Golf GTI being dwarfed in comparison. He checks his hair and his teeth in the rear view mirror one last time before gathering his things and getting out of the car.

His favourite pair of tan Chelsea boots crunch on the gravel and as he rounds Louis' car he spies the man himself in the doorway, leaning against the frame, arms crossed over his chest. He's a vision of relaxed cool with a pair of grey sweatpants tucked into white socks, a plain white t-shirt with a black hoodie over the top, zipper open and cords hanging down. His hair is doing that swoopy thing, fringe feathered over his forehead and his mouth is tugged up at one corner, grinning softly at Harry as he approaches. It takes all of Harry's willpower not to run at him, hoist him up over his shoulder and throw him down on the nearest flat surface. But Harry is fully in control of his actions—for now, at least—so he just waves and smiles.

"Harold."

"Lewis."

Louis rolls his eyes and steps aside. "Come on in."

Harry steps over the threshold, inhaling the sweet smell of Louis' cologne as he passes and toeing off his boots as Louis closes the door behind them.

Louis leads them down the wide hallway and into the vast, open-plan living area. While the house looks traditional from the outside, the interior has clearly undergone a significant modernization, though it still retains many of the original features. A kitchen off to one side, with a long dining table in the centre, the bouquet of flowers from Harry's shop that Louis had insisted he pay for and bring home sitting proudly in the middle. To the other side there's a lounge with a large fireplace and in front is a wall of bi-fold doors that open out onto a garden with an outdoor pool and views to the forest beyond. The decor is heavily dominated by wood and stone with pastel accents in the soft furnishings and artworks giving it a calm welcoming feel balanced by stainless steel appliances and gleaming white cabinetry in the kitchen.

"This is lovely, Lou," Harry says as they wander into the kitchen.

"Thanks, yeah. I love it here. My own little escape. Do you want the five-cent tour?"

"Sure," Harry says and follows along behind Louis. There's a recording studio and office to the left and an indoor pool and a gym to the right, with the upstairs housing five bedrooms plus the master suite. By the time they make it back to the kitchen Harry's head is spinning, and the glass of wine Louis pours him as he sits down on a stool at the island bench is a welcome relief.