Chapter 7

Chapter 7
The Choices of Nossias Hanthad

Life commonly presents us with contingencies, an opportunity to wrought our own decisions

Life commonly presents us with contingencies, an opportunity to wrought our own decisions. Whether they are bad or good, well, that rests upon us. The consequences of our choosing can nay be seen, save by some who possess a particular power, foresight. For those who possess naught such skill, we must venture off into the unknown, holding to the hope that what we have elected will end well for us.

We may not always find favor in the eyes of Man. Albeit, that is something we must bring ourselves to accept -- that our decisions may verily bring us to fall out of favor with those among us. My athair knew this. He gathered as much, being the chief. The Enkarēin King, as he is... or was... and for that I shall evermore find him to be far braver, and far better a man than any I have come to know throughout the whole of this earth!

The laws set forth stood unopposed, more or less. Some were hard and fast, unyielding. Yet despite the repugnance for some of my father's decrees, they were respected. A necessary nuisance that kept our kind alive and kicking.

'Tis not my story to tell; rather, 'tis that of my sister sibling. She elected to wrought a choice, one involving several others of our kinsmen. The consequences of that decision nary affected her alone, albeit all of us, and amidst some she fell, far out of favor. Her decision led our athair to enact a... shall we call it "grounding" of all Enkarēin kind, with no foreseeable end in sight. Needless to say, many grew to feel a deep sense of embitterment -- feeling cut off from the world, isolated, held prisoner amidst their own home, their lives forfeit. Some were elated, feeling liberated, kept safe from those who would see us suffer.

Rest assured, nary a single man, woman, nor child could have foreseen the coming darkness that befell my kinsmen. The entirety of our race was annihilated from the face of Arda. They were faintly a formidable foe -- one we have come to face time and again, one we perceived to be paltry in comparison to my people. Yet they overthrew us; found us, furtively finding their way athwart our borders. Albeit what strikes fear into my heart above and beyond all else -- an uncertain yet strong sense that our true enemy lies not beyond our borders... rather within!

____________________________________

Nossias brought out a crystal, clear and colorless, triangular in shape. He passed his hand aloft, and like a swirling satin, a slate-stained mist began to curl within the resplendent enkarēin relic. It settled in the crystal's base, and at the branch appeared a colorless canopy. The celestial fabric was decorated with shimmering stars. Some danced like diamonds, while others scudded across the heavenly firmament, converging upon an earthly orb. A silver circlet outlined the blackened body. Nestled between the mist below and orb above was an additional ring. It was strange and tribal-like, luminous and ornate. A breathtaking sight to behold!

 A breathtaking sight to behold!