Proper Proposal

Last chapter was the shortest one I've ever written, in which Aoi skips a lot of steps. I'm not so mean as to give y'all a two word update only. I think... 😜
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
{MIHO'S POV}
Did Aoi... just ask me to marry him?

My eyes widen. I open my mouth, but it's dry as a desert. If I try to speak, my bounding heart may try to leap out of my chest and fly.

My skin pales then flushes. My entire face, my ears, all the way down my neck to my hands are the most violent shade of red I've ever seen.

My hands are a million degrees and they feel cool when I press them to my cheeks. My heart will explode if it continues to beat this fast!

Happiness, joy, and excitement well up in every cell of my body, to the point where I might spontaneously combust from pure ecstasy.

Most importantly, Aoi asked me to marry him. I can be with Aoi forever.

Aoi leans back, suppressing a grin. He looks over his shoulder and sticks out his tongue at Akegi and Shiro. "With this, it's a tie. But you can drop the honorific, Aniue and Ane-sama."

He winks at me and briskly walks out of the room. Not before I see the color creeping back into his face.

Shiro waves a hand in front of my eyes. "Miho? Hello? What'd he say to you?"

My legs give out and my knees hit the floor.

"Woah!?" They both run forward. Shiro switches from waving to snapping his fingers.

My mind is reeling too much to respond.

Marry. Marriage. Matrimony. Did I say yes? I missed my chance! I should've said it immediately. Now that I think about it, we haven't even kissed yet.

Kiss. Vows. Marriage.

I know we're young. I'm nineteen. But I'll be a great Commander and queen, just like Azalea Fujimiya.

If you think about it, some nobles marry younger, right? A few other kingdoms further east (between here and Zoral) arrange marriages for their royalty at infancy. At least Aoi and I get to choose.

Life is precious, and sometimes it gets cut short. Both of us learned the hard way exactly how much we have to lose. We have blood on our hands.

I'm not making excuses. We don't have to rush or anything. There's a lot to plan for a royal wedding.

Wedding. Bouquet. Dress. Cake.

"Miho!" Shiro shakes me roughly.

Flowers. Aisle. Music. Ceremony.

"She's broken." He diagnoses.

"You think she passed out?" Akegi asks worriedly.

"I didn't." I manage to find my voice before they lug me to the pharmacy and make a fuss.

"What did he say?" Shiro asks.

"Aoi asked me to—" I pause. I shouldn't tell my siblings, then they'll really make a huge fuss and everybody will know. I want this to be our secret, at least until I can answer him.

"To?" Akegi prompts.

I stick out my tongue. "Secret."

"Come on!" They protest. I go through the motion of locking my lips and throwing away the key.

The rest of the day is a blur. I can't remember what I said five seconds after the words leave my mouth. When night falls, I chicken out in going to Aoi's room for him to brush my my hair.

I dive face-first onto my bed and bury my face in my pillow. I squeal, kicking my legs in the air.

Someone knocks. "Miho-sama?"

"Yes?!" I sit up quickly, rapidly straightening out my hair and readjusting my powder blue nightgown. "What is it?"

"You have a visitor."

I already know who it is without the maid having to state his name. I take a deep, calming breath.

"Come in."

The door cracks open. Aoi peeks inside hesitantly. He's gathered his composure since then, his face is a mask of determination. I beckon him inside.

Aoi closes the door behind himself and pauses.

Then he turns around. Instead of sitting next to me, he bends down on one knee in front of me, setting his dual daggers between us.

"Aoi—"

"Let me do this properly." He asks softly. I purse my lips and nod.

"Miho, from the first day we met, you've been special to me. You're always on my side, even when I'm about to make stupid decisions."

"Flattery will get you nowhere."

"I'm not sure I've made it clear enough." Aoi looks up at me. "I'm on your side too. I always have been, and I always want to be. I owe you everything I have, even my life. So now, I'm swearing my life to you."

His red eyes glow fiercely. My heart sputters, and my breath catches in my throat.

Aoi continues, "I'll give you happiness and share your tears. Remember when you vowed you'd make me king? I'll never forget it. That was the moment I knew I'd do anything for you, even if I lost everything else. I would give up the world for you. I love you with every fiber of my being, Miho Wistaria."

I slide off the bed, onto my knees. My cheeks are a waterfall of tears.

He holds out a hand. "Will you make a new vow with me? Stay with me for the rest of our lives."

I tackle him. "Yes, of course! I said it before and I'll say it again. I love Aoi!"

Aoi pulls me close and kisses me hard. I twine my hands around his neck, in his hair. He tilts his head, deepening it, and I feel a rush of heat.

We only stop because I'll pass out if I don't breathe. Aoi presses his forehead to mine. I find his hands with mine and lace our fingers. We grin and laugh together. Aoi kisses me again once, twice, thrice.

I've never felt more happy in my life. If I was given a choice, I'd live my entire life exactly the same for this moment. I'm so full I might burst.

"We should stop here." Aoi says breathlessly after pulling away from the kiss.

"Mmm." I agree noncommittally.

Aoi chuckles, kissing my forehead and sliding something onto my finger. I look down, and gasp when I see the blue diamond. The ring is tasteful and elegant, not to opulent. It fits perfectly.

I look up at Aoi, wide-eyed. He winks. "Asahi helped me with the measurements."

Aoi, ever the gentleman, helps me stand so he isn't leaving a lady on her knees. One more, less frantic goodbye kiss and he's gone.

I hold my hand up to the light and giggle.