Broken Sanity

{MIHO'S POV}
I honestly couldn't tell you what happened after that. What I do know are the rumors.

I hate rumors with a boiling passion, especially rumors involving me. But these are my only source of information, since I myself have no recollection of what happened after my loyal general, my comrade-in-arms, my friend Hajime died.

Whatever was left of my shredded sanity snapped. Rage the likes of which I'd never felt before flowed through my veins, thicker than blood. It dulled my senses to the point that I could barely even sense Aoi-kun, fighting alongside me.

The enthusiasm of Kenji's troops died with them under my lightning fast blade. I moved through the battlefield like an angel of death, leaving nothing but destruction in my wake.

Severed limbs, flying heads, skewered humans like shish kebabs. Descriptions so gory I'm glad I don't have to relive them in my memories.

I earned a new nickname during that one-sided massacre. If there's one thing I hate worse than rumors, it's nicknames. Aoi-kun and I have gained our fair share of them, most not out of respect.

My teal eyes glowed with intensity, my too-perfect face otherwise emotionless. My dazzling strawberry pink hair fluttered around my head like a halo, even though there was no wind. My rapier created its own wind. A no-longer white shirt and minimal armor, yet no wounds due to Aoi-kun's interference.

Kenji's army watched as I cut through five men with one swing. They looked on while I stabbed throats and vital points. To them, I wasn't human.

I was the Demoness to Aoi-kun's Demon.

And there was nothing they could do but bow their heads in the face of such unimaginable strength.

The tide of the battle turned. More people switched sides, melding into the phalanx. Kenji's army was backed against the wall, quite literally.

Daisuke lead his people and—with the bows we used to hunt for food—managed to snipe back at the irksome archers. I've gained much more respect for the skills of the nomadic hunters from the south.

How long have we been fighting? Where are the generals? Where's Kenji? The rat wouldn't dare run, would he? These thoughts crossed everyone's mind.

I do remember wanting the generals to show themselves quickly, so I could finish them off without losing another friend.

General Takeshi was tired but holding out in close-range combat. The cavalry avenged Hajime splendidly, so nobody dared attempt to best them.

General Torako was struggling worst, trying to keep the phalanx intact as it moved steadily.

She made rounds for who was up front versus in the back so people could rest and eat, transporting injured and stepping over dead as they went. She personally dealt with fools who pretended to switch sides only to turn around and try to sabotage us.

I felt the mood of the enemy army shift. Someone was coming. It was two of the three remaining enemy generals. People scrambled to get out of their leader's way, which made my life easier.

I made a beeline for them, Aoi-kun by my side. If I faced any of the generals with a less-than-sane mind, I might not be where I am now.

Luckily, the pressure they exerted brought me back to my senses. The rest is my own observations.

One general has a scar from the corner of his lip to his left ear, like someone attempted to cut off his jaw. He's big and muscular, and wields a giant mace.

The other is much scrawnier, but still fit. He has sallow skin and dark bags under his eyes. His weapon of choice is a halberd, a small axe blade with a spike at the end of a large pole.

"I know them." Aoi whispers to me. "The bigger one is Kaiju. He's a serial killer who went on a rampage in the capital, until a few years ago when he was caught and sentenced to 325 years in prison. He should've received the death penalty, except Father hated it. Next to him is Eito. He was a royal guard who committed treason by attempting to sell classified information to Azov. Luckily, he got caught before anything damaging was leaked. Stripped of his rank and sentenced to 432 years in prison."

"I'm honored the esteemed prince recognizes humble us." Eito mock bows, his voice patchy and hoarse like he hasn't drank water in a few years.

Kaiju has less finesse than his partner. He lumbers forward, bellowing, "Fight me, and I will prove what weaklings you are! You have no right to rule a kingdom where only the strong thrive!"

"Kenji does?" I retort, spitting on the giant's feet. "Have you... seen the one whom... you've sold your... soul to actually... fight? He can't... wield a sword, let alone... fight in a war. All he's... good at is talking... and hiding behind... others."

Some soldiers look around, perturbed, as if this idea never occurred to them. Fools.

Kaiju looks around anxiously. "Nonsense! His Majesty has no reason to show himself in front of maggots! I'll deal with these usurpers myself!

"So if I... kill you, Kenji will... come personally to... duel Aoi-kun?" I ask.

"Of course!" Kaiju boasts. "You dare speak the emperor's name without any honorific? Mongrel!"

Aoi-kun suppresses a smile. I feel a little bad for thick-headed Kaiju, seeing as he's been totally ensnared by Kenji's sugared words, but he's made it impossible for Kenji to run away now.

Eito realizes what we've done, too late.

"Idiot!" He snaps, smacking Kaiju upside the head. "They must get past all three remaining generals before the emperor arrives."

Kaiju rubs the back of his head. "They only need to fight me, because I will crush their skulls!" He shakes his mace and his allies cheer.

Aoi-kun steps back as I simultaneously step forward. Kaiju blinks in surprise.

"I'll be... your opponent." I clarify slowly. "Just as we... can only get to Kenji... through you, I won't... let anyone touch... Aoi-kun so long as... I live."

"You have guts, pretty girl." Kaiju pounds his fists together. "I will crush your skull first!"

I grit my teeth. "My name is... Miho Wistaria. Commander... of Zoral. Aoi-kun's sword!"

I charge the giant.