Don't Go, Miho

{MIHO'S POV}
I run through the streets of Wolkitra at night, feeling a sense of déjà vu.

At least I'm better prepared this time. I have food and clothes, and I know exactly where I'm headed. I'm going to see Aoi.

I pause at the very edge of town. Once I cross this threshold, I can never come back. I'll be cutting my ties with my family, permanently. I take a deep breath and lift my foot.

Akegi comes flying out of nowhere.

She tackles me from behind before I even sense her presence, knocking me off my feet. We land on the ground in a tangle of limbs, Akegi using all of her strength to keep me in her death vice.

"Ane... Ane-sama?"

"I'm sorry!" She blubbers. "I was selfish! I had no idea what you went through and just brushed your feelings aside. Forgive me! Don't leave me again!"

Shiro leaps onto the ground with Akegi and I, rolling in the dirt in an un-princely manner. "Asahi-san told us a bit about the war."

I feel cold. If they know what I've done, how are they not repulsed from touching me? I'm a living weapon. I forged myself into a sword for Aoi's sake and killed thousands in his name.

"We want to know!" Akegi wails. "What you went through, in your own words! Good and bad!"

My eyes are watering. They know, yet they're still by my side. They aren't coldly turning away, disgusted by my inhumane acts.

I didn't dare to wish for this but my family came running for me. I break down. "I'm sorry... too! Truth is... a part of me... didn't want to... tell you."

Dad joins the pileup. "Don't shut us out."

All my fear and uncertainty rushes to the surface at once. "I... didn't want you... to look at me... like a murderer... once you knew all... the lives I've... taken. I... I don't want... you to... hate me!"

Mom has already joined our group hug, all of us squatting on the ground together. She—the healer, the one most appalled by the thought of taking another's life—reaches out and cups my cheek. "How could we hate you, silly Miho? You're my precious daughter and I will always love you."

Snot runs down my face. "I love... you too!" I bawl.

"I love you!" We all echo into the night.

Our family, finally connected, stays huddled on the street like that for a long time. Slowly, we rise up together. Arms wrapped around shoulders, we lean on each other the entire way back to Wilant castle.

I still want to see Aoi. That need hasn't disappeared. But I can suppress it for another year and a half now.

When we get back to the castle, Dad leads us to the library. There wait Mitsuhide, Obi, and Kiki with her sleeping daughter in her arms.

Asahi is also there, and she unapologetically admits to sending them out to bring me back.

I hug and thank her.

I proceed to tell my family everything, from the very beginning. Although some of the gory details gross them out, they all avidly listen to the end. It feels good to get it off my chest.

The next day, nothing happens at Wistal castle. Rumors floating around say that Prince Zen, Princess Shirayuki, and their three children, as well as their closest aides, stayed up all night and consequently were dead tired the whole day.

I confirm or deny nothing.

With the mountain of weight off my chest, I begin to notice the jitters from not moving my body as much as I used to. I need to blow off steam.