Ch. 10

They found a simple, unassuming motel to use for the night, and took turns keeping watch. Danny was excluded, for the hunters had wholeheartedly agreed that the boy had gone through enough and deserved a full nights rest. Sam had gone first, and had stayed up for a good while without much activity. Dean had followed, staying up nearly the whole rest of the time out of pure stubbornness, only for Bobby to threaten him to get some sleep. Bobby took the last shift, keeping the television on to keep him company. It was set at a low volume, with the pale light lighting the room. He settled on a news channel, one that was running the news of that previous day. Even with the volume as low as it was, he could still make out what it said plainly.

"[...] with multiple renovations taking place in the town, Mayor Whithers has decided to add on yet another project to quote; 'Make this town safer for families'." The newsperson spoke, seemingly on the morning portion of the news. "A recent plan was made to fill in the old sewer system, and now, the Mayor plans on filling in Galley Cave. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, Galley Cave has been the site of cave-ins for many reported incidents, so it's relieving to finally be rid of it after so many years. Back to you John..." 

Bobby had tuned out after that, already formulating a new plan. It may have seemed oddly convenient, but it was something they really needed right about now. He pulled out his laptop, an old but sturdy thing, and got to researching. What the newsperson had said was true, there was an old cave not even a mile outside of town that was due to be filled in later that week. What luck. 

He leaned back in his chair, still in disbelief of their luck. He scratched lightly at the scruff of his beard, thinking over anything that might go wrong like it had in the sewer. If they managed to keep Danny safe from the potion, all should go according to plan. Maybe if he made it in advance, and only lit it when they needed it, that could lessen the affects as well... All of these thoughts filled his mind as he checked the date, finding that it was only two days out from the date they came. Seems this town moved quickly with renovations. 

The rest of the night and soon to come morning was surprisingly uneventful, with nothing but light snoring and the sound of the television to be heard. By the time early afternoon rolled around, Bobby went around from one bed to the other, and then the couch to wake the others. The hunters had allowed Danny to take one bed, Sam took the other, and Dean took the couch.

Bobby explained all that he had heard on the news, while also explaining the new plan he had come up with.

"If all goes to plan, then we should be able to get this thing trapped, and get Danny back home. The thing is, we have to trap it sometime late tomorrow, cause they don't fill the damn thing till the morning after. So we're stuck here for tonight and tomorrow morning." Bobby explained. 

"Not to mention, we have to find a way to make the potion without turning Danny full-dead."  Dean spoke, crossing his arms over his chest as they spoke.

"What if, right before we go to the cave, Bobby stays behind here to mix it, and we go ahead to put up everything else?" Sam suggested. Not only would that help to keep Danny safer, they could kill two birds with one stone.

Danny sat on his bed, with his knees pulled up to his chest. They were doing it again, talking as if he wasn't in the room. They only seemed to remember him when he spoke up.

"I could help out too, y'know." He eyed them, before slipping off of the bed. "Being 'half-dead' does come with its perks." Danny lifted his hands, creating a small shield. It lasted for a few seconds before flickering out. "I should be able to gather enough energy to make a full body shield to outlast to potion."

Bobby stared in disbelief before pinching the bridge of his nose. This was getting weirder and weirder. "That would do it kid. Put that up once I light the ingredients, and let us take care of the rest."

Danny's ability had drawn both of the brother's attention as well, but mostly took over Sam's interest. He turned towards Danny, in awe of the shield. Of course, he'd seen different abilities before, but nothing as tangible or stark green as the shield. "What other abilities can you do? I hadn't even thought that since you're technically a hybrid, you'd have different abilities. Just what abilities would a ghost even have, exactly?" He thought aloud, earning a chuckle from Dean.

Danny was surprised by the questions, but was all too eager to answer him. Usually people didn't ask about his abilities, seeing as he displayed them multiple times for anyone to see in Amity. "Well, I can do quite a bit. In short, I have invisibility, intangibility, ecto manipulation, flight, overshadowing..." He counted on his fingers, trailing off on what abilities he had. 

"Where I come from, my friends and I came up with a sort of theory as to why the ghosts, and myself, can do what we can and why ghosts elsewhere can't." He continued.

"The ambient ectoenergy of my hometown is a lot higher than anywhere else I've seen, and when someone like me, or other ghosts hang around for long enough, we absorb that energy. It's harmless to regular humans, but is the source of power for ghosts. Since I've absorbed so much, it's been able to last me this long, like a battery. Even still, though, I can't use my abilities for long without them sputtering out."

The three hunters exchanged bewildered gazes before turning back to Danny.

"Well then... how about we grab some lunch? I'm starving." Dean clapped his hands together and grabbed his jacket to head out. Danny found this quite amusing, and let out a pure laugh. He didn't know what he'd expect from telling them, but it wasn't surprising how they responded. Any likeminded person would respond that way.

"Can we get something other than diner food?" Sam asked, earning a pretty solid 'nope' from Dean.

"I'm getting too old for this crap." Bobby said simply, heading out after the brothers, and being followed shortly after by Danny.