Chapter 8. Bad Things

Hayden told me the truth, and I didn't expect just how bad it was. He left without saying another word to me or giving me time to wrap my head around it. I went to bed that night, and when I woke, I tried to call him and text him, but he didn't answer me. He hadn't been at home or at the coffee shop for a week.

Sean told me he hadn't seen him either, and he had no idea where he went. Sean said he hadn't been at Mateo's place either. I didn't tell Sean that I knew the truth, but I knew that Sean was mixed into the same things as Hayden.

They hired a girl to take Hayden's spot at the coffee shop, and I had to train her. I hadn't seen Ryan at the coffee shop either, not that I had any desire to see Ryan. I could care less if I ever saw him again. Hayden defended the fact that Ryan was drunk the night he said the things he did, but it didn't make it hurt any less.

Stormy slid down the red slide. She giggled when she reached the bottom.

Dark clouds rolled toward us. Thunder shook the sky. The clouds were practically black. The wind blew my hair back. We were in for a severe thunderstorm tonight with many tornado warnings in the area. Stormy's hair clung to her forehead from the humidity.

"Come on, baby," I called to Stormy.

Stormy stomped towards me. "Can't we stay a little longer?"

I picked her up and looked up at the sky. Stormy's gaze followed mine. I looked back at her. "What do you think?" I asked and chuckled.

Stormy sighed. "I think it's time to go home."

"I think that is about right," I said. I carried Stormy to the car. I buckled Stormy in and climbed into the driver's side.

We managed to beat the storm home.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked as I headed for the kitchen.

"I don't know," Stormy said and shrugged.

"Spoken like a true woman," I said and giggled.

"What?" Stormy tilted her head.

"Your dad used to tell me that I never knew what I wanted to eat. I couldn't make up my mind. There were too many options," I told her.

Stormy smiled for a moment, then she frowned. "Mommy? Where is Hayden?"

"Um, I'm not sure," I said and shrugged. "He hasn't been home."

"Do you think he's okay?" Stormy asked.

I sighed and turned to face Stormy. "Yeah, baby, I think he's just fine. He's a tough guy, and he can take care of himself."

"Okay," Stormy said. "Can we get Pizza Hut?"

I chuckled. "No cooking and no dishes? Sounds good to me," I agreed.

After we ate dinner, I put Stormy to bed and took a shower. I put on a robe and kept the towel on my head to let my hair dry. I grabbed a can of soda from the fridge and sat down on the couch. I turned on the TV.

The wind blew hard against the apartment complex. Lightning flashed, and thunder shook the building. Rain hit hard against the windows. I stared at the window and thought about Hayden. I regretted not stopping him from walking out that night, but the text I sent him and voicemail I left made it very clear that I accepted what he told me.

After about an hour, I stood off the couch and took the towel off my head. I started down the hallway, but a few raps on the door made my steps falter.