CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE
MISS THERESA GRAY

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

SIX WEEKS LATER — JUNE, 1878

     "How can you throw left-handed if your dominant is your right?" Will asked from where he was perched up on a beam in the training room. It wasn't the highest in the room, only ten feet high where the highest reached to thirty feet, but Evangeline was keeping an eye on him regardless. Mainly because Jem was right there beside him, and he'd been wearing a dark look all afternoon, ever since Will had told Charlotte that Jem wasn't feeling well. He'd been promptly taken off the possible mission they were hoping to go on in only a few hours, and he had been cross with Will ever since. Will didn't seem to care. He just continued eating his apple, unbothered by Jem's dark looks, or the fact that Jem was very likely to shove him off the beam head-first.

"I told you, Will," Evangeline sighed as she aimed an axe—not her beloved, but rather a spare used one from the weapons room—at a target set far in front of her. She was practicing throwing with her left hand, and she was trying to focus. She had mastered knives. Now it was time to master axes. "I can use both. I just prefer my right." She balanced herself, using the momentum of her body as she threw to make the axe soar harder. It landed blade-first in the target, but not on the center, just a few inches to the left. Evangeline grumbled under her breath and went to retrieve the axe, jerking it out of the wooden target. She could've hit the center righthanded with her eyes closed. Clicking her tongue, she turned to go back to her spot, only to hear a muffled yell. She glanced up just in time to see Jem shove Will off the beam. Will floundered in the air for a split second, then landed with a thump on the mats.

"Jem!" Evangeline said in a scolding tone, though she could feel laughter bubbling up her throat. Jem had taken Will's apple before shoving him off the ten-foot beam, and now he was munching away happily, his legs kicking in the air as if he hadn't just tried to murder his own parabatai. She glanced at Will, saw he was fine and currently pouting as he sat up on the mats, and finally let her laughter ring free. "What have I told you about trying to murder Will? Only do it outside!"

"Right," Jem said seriously, biting into the apple again. "Sorry, Evie. Next time I try to murder Will, I will be sure to be far away from the Institute, I promise." Evangeline shared a grin with him. Will grumbled something rude under his breath, then raised his voice dramatically.

"Both of you are cruel," Will said loudly, coming dangerously close to wailing. Jem and Evangeline watched in amusement as he fell back against the mat and threw the back of his hand over his forehead dramatically. "Betrayed by my own parabatai and our shared, dear friend. How will I go on after this pain? This betrayal? 'Hide not thy poison with sugar'd words; Lay not thy hands on me; forebear, I say! Their touch affrights me as a serpent's—'"