CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
SUPPER AND BURNT SLEEVES

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     "Evie, I swear, I am alright. There is no need to hover as you do," Jem croaked the next day, as Evangeline leaned over him to press a wet cloth against his forehead. He had fallen ill the previous night, while Evangeline and Will had been out on their mission saving miss Tessa Gray. The poor girl was still in the Sanctuary, unconscious from a hard hit to the head. A Silent Brother, Brother Enoch, had come to oversee her, but Evangeline hadn't stayed by the girl's bedside. Neither had Will. They had both gone immediately to Jem's room, only to see him also unconscious and covered in sweat. He hadn't coughed up any blood, thank the Angel, but that hadn't stopped Evangeline and Will both from staying up to watch him, taking turns napping during the night. Now, Will was off to bathe—Evangeline had bathed that morning, possibly the fastest bath she had ever taken—and Evangeline was left alone with Jem. He looked better than a few hours ago. The color was back in his cheeks, his fever was now gone, and he was trying to sit up against his pillows. Evangeline pushed him gently back whenever he tried.

"You haven't been taking it, have you?" Evangeline sighed the question, her voice so low Jem barely heard her. He stared at her for a moment as if confused, and then he blinked and looked away, a muscle jumping in his jaw. Evangeline reached out her hand and touched the place gently, easing the tension there. Another sigh left her mouth. "Brother Enoch said this morning that you must follow the instructions you were given. You must take the right amount of yin fen every three days to stay stable. You were supposed to take it last night. I keep track of the days, you know. So does Will. But you had a fever, which means you skipped. Why?"

"I hate it," Jem whispered. Evangeline dropped her hand, found his between the sheets, and squeezed his fingers comfortingly. He kept his eyes across the room, on his violin case laid out across a desk. He must have been cleaning it last night. "But I did not skip last night on purpose. I wanted to welcome everyone home." He was silent for a moment, and then he glanced at Evangeline almost sheepishly, a shy smile curling at his lips. Evangeline's chest tightened, her heartbeat going oddly irregular. She took a deep, stabling breath. "I confess I got caught up in my music." At that, Evangeline smiled back, relief making her shoulders drop.

"As long as you took it this morning?" she checked. Jem nodded, murmuring something about Brother Enoch not leaving until he did, and Evangeline nodded back. Pleased, she placed her damp washcloth on his bedside table, then climbed into his bed to lay against his side. His arm curled around her, and she spoke with her cheek pillowed against his shoulder, her eyes drooping sleepily. "I daresay you are very comfortable, my dearest. I might just—"