CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
A WALK IN THE PARK

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     Once they were done shopping, Evangeline found herself following Jessamine and Tessa into Hyde Park. Jessamine had claimed it was too nice of a day to not take a stroll, and Tessa had hesitantly agreed, wanting to be kind to Jessamine in the moment. It was clear to everyone that Jessamine didn't want to go back to the Institute. Evangeline, for her part, didn't particularly mind walking through the park. It wasn't raining, at least, and though she would've rather been with Jem and Will, it was nice to be out of the Institute and not on a mission. Humming to herself, she caught up to Jessamine and Tessa and pulled her fan out of her sleeve, flicking it open so she could fan her face and neck. It was towards the end of June—she blinked when she realized her birthday was only a month away—but with all the rain, the heat wasn't that horrible. Still, she enjoyed the feeling of fanning her face, so she continued to do so. Jessamine was rattling off details of the park, though less about the nature and more about the inhabitants. Who was part of a wealthy family in the mundane world and who wasn't, who was wearing out-of-date fashion, who was wearing an ugly dress. Evangeline, used to her behavior by now, let her words flow through one ear and out the other. She just took in the sights, smiled when she saw a few ducks swimming across the surface of the pond, then brightened when she noticed a man selling chilled peppermint water up ahead.

"Hello," she said warmly once they reached the man. Beside her, Tessa came to an abrupt stop when she realized Evangeline had stopped as well. Jessamine was forced to stop when Tessa did, not wanting to be seen as a young lady walking in the park alone. The man behind the cart smiled at her, but she noticed they were no warmth in it. Just wariness. Evangeline eyed him curiously, and then noticed a golden reflection in his eyes. A werewolf. Evangeline immediately brightened her smile, not wanting the poor man to think he was doing anything wrong. "May I have three peppermint waters, please?" The man blinked like he was surprised—it made Evangeline wonder just how many Shadowhunters had harassed the werewolf just for selling water to mundanes—but she busied herself with drawing her coin purse into her hands. She usually kept it hanging from her wrist. Charlotte had given it to her on her last birthday; it was made of silk, and had roses woven into the side. She pulled out enough to pay for their drinks and dropped it into the tray in the corner of his cart.

"Right away, miss," the man said. Evangeline smiled and waited patiently. Jessamine was grumbling about stopping behind her, but when Evangeline passed her the first cup of peppermint water, she grew quiet quickly. Evangeline eyed her as Jessamine sipped delicately at the cup, wondering why she was willingly drinking something that came from a werewolf. Jessamine was prone to pitching an absolute fit when Downworlders were involved, much to Charlotte's shame and Evangeline's embarrassment. It took a moment to realize it was because Jessamine didn't even recognize the man as a werewolf, and then she rolled her eyes and turned back to get Tessa a cup. Once Evangeline had her own, Evangeline wished the man a wonderful day and started back down the park's path, putting her fan back into her sleeve to tuck her free arm through Tessa's.