18.

The sidewalk radiated heat as the two of them made their way down the market beside the school wall. The commercial district was open and animated as always, hawkish vendors selling their stuff with an unrivalled enthusiasm in the middle of the afternoon bustle. Ladies with straw hats sold fresh fish and meat with hasty movements, eager to empty their baskets before the heat rotted their produce. He could spot some other kids from the school as well, laughing in groups and eating fried fish off of sticks.

Guan Shan glanced at some of the fresh water sardines, wondering if he could get them at a discount considering that it was already past noon. He Tian stood beside him like a tall lighthouse, attracting the attention of some curious aunties who chortled with glee as the bastard winked his eyes at him. Guan Shan shifted his gaze to a crab wiggling its way out of a basket, feeling disgruntled at the daylight eyesore.

He Tian must have sensed his annoyance, as the bastard was currently drilling a hole into his back with his steadfast gaze.

"Busy place." He Tian commented, matching his harried stride with steady, well-paced ones. "I had an uncle who owned a boat at the dock here. Always wanted to visit him, but my dad was kind of an ass about it."

"I get why." Guan Shan curved his lips in a faint smirk, ducking his head to enter a fruit tent to inspect some fresh melons. The owner was absent, but he could wait.

"You'd flirt with all the ol' ladies and their husbands will wanna kill you. Even your rich dad won't be able to save your ass then."

"That's not nice." He Tian moved close, close until he was a warm line against Guan Shan's back. He lowered his mouth to Guan Shan's ear, making him bristle.

"Don't tell me," He Tian breathed out a small laugh. "You jealous of the wives? Or their husbands?"

"I am not as depraved as you, bastard."

Guan Shan swiveled around, putting the melon in between to maintain some semblance of space. The sun disappeared under the roiling clouds and the world dimmed for a brief moment. In the silence of tent, it had become dark enough that he could only detect faint contours of He Tian's face illuminated by the light of a display lantern nearby.

The boy's face was a study in confidence, eyes watching him like a mirthful fox that seemed like it couldn't wait to unleash havoc. The bastard came closer than what Guan Shan could think was humanly possible, squeezing the melon into his chest. Taken aback, his grip loosened and the fruit fell to the floor, forgotten.

"You say that, red." He Tian exhaled, eyes tumultuous as he drew closer till their chests touched. "It's not fair. Shouldn't I call you that?"

The bustling world outside felt like it had become a separate entity altogether from the distant corner they occupied in the fruit tent, and he felt his face flame for what felt like the umpteenth time in his life ever since he met the insufferable bastard. At the same time, his heart squeezed and danced like rain bouncing off a drum, making his head spin with confusion.

"You'd be a fuckin' hypocrite if you did."

Guan Shan put both his palms on He Tian's chest to gain some illusion of distance. He flinched in surprise when he felt the steady throb of a heart-beat that made He Tian more reachable than he already was. A distant part in his mind felt tormented by the emotions running wild in the bastard's eyes. Though He Tian's lips were pursed in the veneer of a confident smirk, those dark almond eyes seemed to tell an entirely different story. He felt his own uncertainty bubble to the surface in response.

The moment was quickly shattered as the old stall owner sauntered in with a hum, and Guan Shan coughed, leaping back from He Tian. The bastard looked like he couldn't give a single fuck, still regarding him with laughter in his eyes.