12.

Routine was becoming boring, and Guan Shan had to watch with bleary eyes that spoke of exhaustion as the toaster burned the remaining bread, tooting triumphantly, even as the milk in the casserole overflowed from the heat.

Yeah, his concentration was elsewhere. They really needed to replace the stupid piece of equipment in their kitchen. He felt like kicking it out, and then sleeping in late until eleven. His ma was at the hospital, being fussed over by the nurses there. But she'd called him at six, asking for her son to 'get out of that bed, I know you are still in there'. Gods, there was no winning with that hard-boiled woman. He ran off to school after fussing over the phone and asking her to eat well for at least half an hour.

"Mo Guan Shan!"

Nianzu slapped his shoulders, and he returned the gesture as they crossed each other in the corridors. It was still too early for the students to be pouring into the classes in a configurative heap, but there were a sizable smattering of students about. Some of the girls were sitting on the desks, swinging their stocking-clad legs back and forth as they laughed and gossiped. The sound of metal doors being pried open and groans that accompanied it greeted him as he went past the lockers. All the time, he kept his eyes firmly trained ahead. Chen Fang greeted him with a toothy grin.

"Ay, what's up, man? You look down."

"It's the mornin'." Guan Shan replied flatly. "It does stuff with my brain. Fuck, I dunno. Can I skip on that dumb algebra class?"

"Algebra's fine." The wiry-looking kid told him dismissively. "Now calculus, that's the real shit you'll have to pray not to do fuck up in. I went through my sister's book yesterday. By far the worst, man."

"An' what were you doin' with your sister's text?" He rolled his eyes as Chen Fang jabbed his elbow into his chest.

"Nah. Mom's just prepping me for that entrance exam and shit. Real competitive, and if I don't want to end up like that uncle of mine, I have to get in some nice college. And hey, didja hear? Sui from the opposite class saw He Tian in the hospital yesterday."

"Heard it." He said morosely, masking his immediate reaction, hands in his pockets as Chen Fang moved to his locker. "Did the chick offer herself as a sacrifice or somethin'? Big deal—the bastard got himself thrashed. It's not the end of the world."

"Hey wait a sec, it's kind of weird." Chen Fang knitted his eyebrows together pensively. "You weren't really up to speaking up until I mentioned He Tian. Ah man, he really is getting to you, isn't he?"

"You lookin' for a black eye or what?" He growled.

"Careful! Those batty teachers have ears." Chen Fang breathed out, struggling to pry open his locker door. "Oh, why does this door. Refuse. To—" Another ancient groan. "Open!"

The rickety locker gave way to a gargantuan whine as it was forcibly opened, and he winced at the insuppressible goosebumps—the unpleasant kind—that rose with the noise.

"Anyway, the guy's lucky. Heard he moved into the Shang-Pei apartments earlier this year. Have you seen how it's like?!"

Guan Shan bit back a reply. Yes, he had. Involuntarily at that, and had been forced to cook in an utterly humiliating move, even as that bastard He Tian had scrutinized him with lascivious eyes the entire time.

"Guess I'll see you later, dude."

The bell clanged, signalling the start of the first class.

"Get back to your classes!" Some prefect yelled. "Get inside!"

___________

In the recess, he found himself standing in front of He Tian's homeroom class. The bastard's seat was empty, and there was no sign of any bags hooked to the side. This was the fourth day He Tian hadn't come to school. He balled his fists, jerking away from the door like he was burned. Why did he keep coming back?