7.

The birds were fucking loud. He scratched his chin roughly, tossing his covers away with a soundless groan. Who needed an alarm when he could rely on the nutty critters to do their job?

"Aren't you out of bed yet?" His mom's voice floated like an unwelcome siren, floating through the curtains. His red hair was tangled and messed up like a hornet's nest, and he vainly tried to part through a few entwined strands, to no avail. Just what had he been doing the night before? Rubbing his palms over his sore calves, he tried to ignore the stuffiness of the bed and think. Sleep danced away from him as abruptly as his tolerance for mornings.

When the memory rush hit headfirst, he felt like crawling back into the softest corner of his bed and making himself a tent from which he would never bother to retreat. The day before might as well hadn't existed in his book. He buried his burning face into the covers, thoughts spiralling deeper and deeper as they turned into a clusterfuck of emotions.

He had passed out after he had jerked off to the bastard.

"Get out of that bed, kid!" His mom's voice was significantly more louder now, and if he didn't know any better, it was almost like the lady wanted him to split his head into two.

"Yeah, pipe down, old hag." Guan Shan called out weakly, before burying his face into his hands. Nothing could make his forthcoming days any better than it was now. Why was he agonizing over a ridiculous cat and mouse game invented by that sly bastard He Tian? He couldn't deny that he found satisfaction in the thought that he had managed to headbutt the bastard. There was also the way he had jammed his knee near the moron's crotch, but that was a disappointing miss that he'd rather not pause to consider.

"Get up already! It is such a beautiful day and you should be ashamed to miss even a fraction of it!"

"Beautiful day my ass, ma. It's a Monday, for fuck's sake."

"That's it, you slacker! Off to the yard with you. Go clean up that potty mouth while you are it. Honestly, other kids are up all night studying and voluntarily hurrying off to cram school while my lazy ass son has nothing better to do than jerking off—"

"Ma!"

His mother stropped at his scandalized tone, before laughing.

"I am saying the truth, after all. Only my son is horny twenty four-seven."

Grumbling, he clambered off of his bed, scratching his belly. Sometimes, his mother had no filter to segregate her practical and ridiculous statements. Perhaps being with his delinquent dad had made her this way. It was a subduing thought, but when had his old man ever been a harbinger of happiness to the family?

When he was off drinking booze till he was sick and wrung dry, he thought dryly. Every day seemed to be in shambles. He scratched his bony hips, wriggling his toes absently in an effort to regain blood to his extremities.

The radio blared like an offended siren through the doors of the kitchen, and he winced as the shrill sound made his teeth ache at its awful intensity. And the worst part was having rice paper thin walls as a meagre cover from the old fashioned music. Maybe the first thing he'd do after receiving a decent job was to find his mom a neat shack to hole up in.

___________

The classrooms were untidy, but it wasn't like the school authorities had ran out of fucks to give when the district officer had run by with an order to neaten up the place. Because of the notable absence of staff, the senior kids were stuck with the humdrum task of renovation as the local warden watched on with an evil eye. The bucket of paint in his hand was a welcoming weight, even as he watched on in disdain as the class representative did a poor job of the wall, dripping blue paint all over the already ruined concrete tiles.

"Watch where you are swinging that brush, dipshit." Guan Shan's advice wasn't taken to heart; the ladder on which the bespectacled representative sat on gave a sudden heart-stopping lurch, before it decided to come down on the people below.

When heartfelt screeches pierced his ears through the gateway of Buddha himself, he grabbed a fistful of his red hair and decided that he'd had enough of incompetent fools. In the heat of his irritation, an unfortunate girl brushed past him, knocking her elbows against his. He whipped around, a scornful glare ready on his face.

"Hey, hey. There's no need to be rude."

The girl's mouth opened at the interruption, and he could see the way how her cheeks pinkened this close. Despair uncoiled in the pit of his stomach, mixed with agitation, and a feeling he would die a thousand deaths before he would admit - anticipation.

"H-He Tian classmate."

"Hello there, beautiful." He Tian pressed his chest against his back, peering over his shoulder. He closed his eyes, gnashing his teeth together. The day hadn't even begun when the asshole had diligently decided to ruin it.

"Take your loving fan and fuck off. Fuckin' lovebirds goin' at it in the morning." He sneered, and the girl flushed in embarrassment and humiliation. It calmed him down, oddly. There were a definite set of rules. He was the bad guy, and people spoke ill of him and tended to avoid him as they did. It was wholly natural. There was no reason why he had to change that. Guan Shan bared his teeth at the girl, and her shoulders quivered in timid fright.

He wasn't a pack animal; unsociable in many ways, he considered himself a loner. There was no reason why he was supposed to get along with others, smiling fake smiles and hiding his pain all day long.

"What did she ever do to you, huh?" He Tian enquired, smiling surreptitiously, before wrapping his fingers like a tight adhesive around the skin of his wrist. Guan Shan snatched his hand back, glowering over his shoulders. He Tian gave him an indiscernible look, but the expression in his dark gaze sent a shock of sheer want down his spine. In a second, whatever it was in those eyes ceased to be.

Memories from the day before rushed to the forefront of his mind, and he resisted the urge to pummel the moron standing behind him until he was senseless. Nothing could be more satiating than hearing the crack of bones, he told himself. The girl shielded her eyes from He Tian, whispering her apologies and making her way past them in haste succession. Gravity was clearly working against him, but he forced himself to put his head down and walk away. 

Away from this cursed attraction.

The classroom they were in was filled, a major proportion of students working to fix the unpeeling sections of the drab ceiling, some working on the paint rollers on the concrete floor. The others were pushing the desks and benches out of the way. One could easily lose themselves in this sea of students, if they wanted to. And he did, he did want to get away from the bastard and his face. Such unnatural loathing was probably unhealthy for his psyche.