33: A New Routine

'"So, I know that we're not supposed to tell anybody about them right now," Garth said, "but that just for now, right? Someday, I'm going to tell my kids about the time I met the president."

Richard laughed, wiping his sweating palms on his jeans. They were waiting in the dining hall for Ol-Maran to arrive with the surprise residents of the Beyma. Richard was strangely nervous. "Already thinking about kids, are you?"

"Oh, yeah. They're going to be beautiful. We're going to have three or four." Garth grinned.

Kavita raised her eyebrows. "Wow, a full house. Boys or girls?"

"Boys, girls, nonbinary kiddos," Garth said, "it doesn't matter to us. I mean, I imagine it doesn't matter to us. Haven't quite talked to him about it yet."

"Maybe wait a little while before telling him you're populating your future home with tiny Garths," said Richard.

"I'm probably going to have to learn something about sports to raise kids, though, right? I didn't do sports except for a couple of years of baseball, but it's probably good for their social development?"

"Probably," said Richard.

"Jeez, stop giving me unsolicited parenting advice." Garth punched Richard in the arm. "This is stuff for me and Kin to figure out, you creep."

Richard scowled at his friend, rubbing his arm. "You're the one who—"

"Shh! It's them!" Garth sprang to his feet, starting toward the nav pod. The doors had slid open, revealing Ol-Maran and the three Chorodonians, who were dressed in flowing robes. There had been soft conversation in the dining hall among the other Karra assembled there; Aialo-El was the only one who was not present, since they had stayed back to pilot the ship. But as the Chorodonians entered the room, all conversation stopped.

Garth strode toward the strangers, already chattering excitedly. Richard looked around the room, catching wary expressions on the faces of all of the Karra there. He glanced at Kavita, who also looked uncertain.

"Shall we?" he asked.

"I guess so," she replied, slipping her hand onto his elbow. "Wow, this is a little weird."

"Well, at least it doesn't look like they have guns. That's an improvement." Richard started toward Ol-Maran and the Chorodonians. As he approached, he could hear Garth complimenting the Chorodonians' garments.

"I have got to get me one of those," he said. "I love it—the swishing, very dramatic. Oh, and this is Richard, and this is Dr. Das."

"Kavita," she said, smiling at the Chorodonians. "I think hurtling through space together must make us friends."

The youngest of the Chorodonians made a strange sound, a rattle deep in her throat. "Yes, it must," she said. "I'm Shashi. This is my mother, President Vaivala, and this is Wessona. You can call her Auntie."

Wessona clicked, shaking her head. "Please do not call me Auntie."

"I do." Shashi frowned at the ambassador.

"I know, and it is most frustrating." Wessona touched Shashi's cheek with one hand, affectionate despite her words. She had just three fingers; up close, the comparison between the Chorodonians and crabs or insects held strong. Their skin seemed quite firm, as if they might have exoskeletons. Certain parts of their bodies, like the edges of their hands, were fringed with fine hair.

Shashi leaned her face into Wessona's hand for a second, then turned to the humans. She addressed Richard, her eyes wide and sparkling. "You're the one I met in the hallway! I'm sorry. I think I scared you."