jaehyun's 9.0

a/n sorry it took so long. it will take longer for me to push out chapters if you've read my blog due to me using voice typing but hopefully this is long enough for you to enjoy.

please, please, please don't be a silent reader! I know I have said this enough but it is quite disheartening, not going to lie.

That aside, thank you to those who have always shown their support. here are 40 pages for you.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was then and there something shifted in both Jaehyun and I. Something I could not put a finger on. He had recoiled and throughout the meeting, I knew that the change I had been waiting for had arrived. I stood beside Hansol, my ex-boyfriend and former partner studying my face closely as Kyungsoo said that I'd be partnered with him.

I did not fight Kyungsoo nor did Jaehyun. We did not say anything; Jaehyun's eyes blank. I caught sight of Yena slipping her hand into his, her hand tightening as if they were always hers to hold. Like an owner who had found her puppy after all this time and she wouldn't let him go.

Not anymore.

The meeting ended with silence, Jaehyun and I not looking at each other when I bowed to Kyungsoo and stepped away from the office.

"Nabi," Hansol said and I felt him touch my elbow, turning to see his eyes on me. Wondering, hoping that there was hope for reconcilement but the problem wasn't Hansol and it wasn't Jaehyun. The problem was that I was so comfortable with how everything was, I didn't want to step away from it. "I—"

"Why are you here, Hansol?" I asked softly. "You know I was transferred here. Why are you here?"

"I..." His voice trailed, Hansol licking his lips. "Russia was too hard on me, Nabi. They humbled me and I knew I wouldn't last if I stayed. It was either Canada or NCT Center."

"Then why not Canada?" I demanded.

"Because you're here," he admitted and I bit down on my lower lip. "Nabi, you're my best friend. I don't care if we are not going to end up together but all those years we've been training together? Do you think I wouldn't at least try to get you back?"

"Why couldn't you have tried harder when we broke up?" I asked, Hansol's face falling.

"Is this because of Jung Jaehyun?" he asked back and I looked up at him to see that his eyebrows were furrowed. "I saw the articles."

"They are just articles."

"Then why are you acting like we can't even be friends?"

"Because I know you don't want to be just friends," I replied and Hansol kept quiet, glancing down. "And I know I can't go back to loving you the same anymore. I'm just being honest."

"So casually cruel in the name of being honest, Nabi, that's what you're being," he told me, looking up. "I see you haven't changed."

"Not much time has passed, if you didn't notice."

I closed my eyes before trying to handle my raging emotions. Annoyance was evident but I knew I was getting ahead of myself.

"If you pull the same thing you did back when we were at the East Coast Training Center—"

"Not anymore," Hansol told me, shaking his head. "I promise you not anymore."

I bit down on my lip, nodding slightly before stepping away when Hansol caught my wrist. He did it so carefully but when I did not fight him, he pulled me closer to hug me. He placed his face on my shoulder and for a moment, we stood there.

I reached up to pat his shoulder, Hansol sighing.

"I've missed you," he told me. "and I wish you would say the same but..." He sounded choked and I pulled away, removing his hand from my body. "Nabi, you don't know how much I regret what I did."

"I don't," I murmured. "But I hope you do."

"I do." He smiled and for a moment, he looked like the Hansol I used to know. The Hansol I remembered from years ago. The one whose face would light up into a smile whenever I would kill an enemy. The one who would cheer me and the team on. He brought his lips to my forehead, kissing me softly. "I'll make it up to you, okay?"

I bit my lip. "Keep it platonic, Hansol."

He chuckled at my words. "No promises."

Then he took my hand and a wave of familiarity washed through me. At the corner of my eye, I saw Jaehyun staring at us, Yena whispering something in his ear. One look behind me and I caught Jaehyun's eye.

Unreadable. I sighed.

At least, I thought to myself.

At least Jaehyun had his nine back.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________