6: Burning House Of Love/The Fourth Man In The Fire

https://iv1.lisimg.com/image/7196017/245full-penelope-mitchell.jpg.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

"Jason, what the fuck do you think you're doin'?" Lacey intercepted Jason's storming footsteps to the front door, tugging at the bag he held only for familiar family heirlooms to fall to the floor with a clank. "You were gonna sell her stuff?" Her shock was quick to shift into anger, "You're That Desperate For 'V'!"

"You don't understand--!"

"I understand plenty! My dumbass brother is a 'V' addict, that's now sellin' his Grams JEWELRY To Get Some! I tell him he needs to get his life in order and This Is What He Resorts To?!" He stumbled as she shoved him toward the exit, two candelabras clutched tightly in his grip. "Get The Fuck Out and don't come back 'till you can show this house some damn Respect!" Her knees buckled the second he was out of sight, silent tears sliding down the girl's cheeks as she attempted to tidy up the pile of clutter.

"What's wrong?" The brunette's heart nearly jumped from her chest in fright at the unexpected appearance of her younger sister in the doorway.

Her sisters' smile wobbled as she struggled to stand on shaking legs, "Nothing--"

"Tell me."

"Just Jason bein' a prick." She shrugged off the pain, pulling Sookie to rest beside her on the sofa. "Ain't nothin' worth ruining our day. Now--" The smile was forced, Lacey's grip finding Sookie's hands to add some authenticity to her excitement. "You have a fun sleepover?"

"You could say that," a giddy smile lit the blonde's lips--Lacey actually felt a small seed of joy plant in her stomach at the sight.

"Did he bite you?" Blonde hair was pushed aside to reveal two symmetrical dots, "Lucky you, gettin' it on with a vampire! I say we have mornin' margaritas to celebrate--in moderation, of course," the elder held her hands up in defense to Sookie's playful scolding look. Laceys attempt to stand and start on their drinks interrupted by an impulsive need striking her, "Hey, Sook?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think you could help me sort somethin' out later?"

"Sure, what do you need?"

"I'm thinkin' 'bout puttin' my hair back to normal--"

"But it looks gorgeous, brunette." The younger girl was in a slight state of shock. From the second Gran allowed Lacey near dye, she'd been every color under the sun. Her rainbow phase lasted until she hit 22, every few months seeming to permit an event where she 'needed' to be any vibrant color she could get her hands on. Then from 22 to 25, she was stone-cold black, even got two tattoos during that time; two doves on her ankle in memory of her mother and father. And just weeks before she lost the baby, she turned brunette and hasn't changed since...