38

"You've gotta tell us what the hell is going on, Luke." Ashton grew increasingly worried in the passenger's seat the longer Luke was speeding them back to their hotel.

"Just..." He let out a heavy sigh. "When we see that she's safe, I'll explain everything. I can't do it twice, and... she has to know."

While they wanted to know, the way he gripped the steering wheel gave away how hard he was trying to keep himself together.

Normally, the drive would take 20 minutes, but with Luke's panic behind the wheel, they got there in ten.

The three others fed on Luke's anxiousness, but they didn't finish their job the way they should've and know well enough they weren't off the hook for the reckless behaviour no matter how dire the situation was with Delaney.

He hadn't even thought of that. They didn't get the ten grand they should've. They got eight grand and got out hours before they should've. He was in such a rush that he didn't even have time to feel bad about the way Julia's parents were haggling over her well-being instead of just giving up the money that they all knew they had and taking their young daughter home.

It was so difficult to focus on the road as his mind flitted through all the ways he could find Delaney back in her room. He only insisted on driving because he knew no one else was as urgent as he was.

Calum already had the room key in hand when they got to the correct floor. He planned on unlocking it for Luke, but he snatched it from Calum's hands as soon as the door was in sight.

He fiddled with the key, his shaky hands making it more difficult than it should've been. While he did that, Ashton knocked on the door to warn her. There was no stopping Luke, but the least he could do was let Delaney know they were coming.

As soon as he could, he swung the door open, revealing Delaney standing up, looking like she was getting ready to respond to the knocking.

Luke didn't even give her a second to say anything before he wrapped his arms around her, trying to ignore the relief flooding him as he felt her body so real pressed into his.

She didn't quite hug back. She was far too confused and shocked by the sudden affection.

The three remaining boys crowded the doorway. Delaney looked at them, raising an eyebrow as if to ask what the hell was going on. They shrugged.

Gently, she placed a hand on his back, a small degree of hugging him back.

He wasn't expecting her to jump into his arms or anything; he was just so happy to see that she wasn't running away from him. 

"Luke?" Her voice was so soft. "What happened?"

He buffered his hesitation with a sigh. "Where's the picture?"

"What picture?" Michael asked from the doorway as Luke released her to retrieve the picture from her nightstand.

Just as he did with the key, Luke grabbed it as soon as it was within his reach. They all watched anxiously as Luke's eyes rushed to scan the image. He said nothing, just grabbed Delaney again.

This time she hugged him back know that she finally knew the threat was for her, and her fear was justified the entire time. It was a strange feeling of relief, knowing she wasn't crazy but was in danger.

"Calum said it meant nothing." She frowned, finding Calum at the door with her eyes, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his jeans.

"I didn't know it did,"

"I'm so glad you're okay," he said with a quiet voice, ignoring the discourse over the photo's meaning.

"You have to tell us what's going on," she whispered back, which was a reminder that his bandmates were waiting there, anxiously awaiting some sort of explanation, which they had definitely earned. He nodded, his face pressed against her shoulder. Yet he didn't move.