40

buckle up for this one !

You know that feeling you get the odd time when you're so sure someone is watching you? This loomed over Luke in the middle of the night as he tried his best to fall asleep, but to no avail.

Luke pushed up from where he laid on his stomach, craning his neck to find Delaney slowly approaching the door, face dropping to an apologetic frown as soon as she saw him awake.

"Hi, baby." He grinned, voice raspy with the two words. He was so tired, but still so happy to see her.

"Were you already up?" She whispered, glancing over at Michael sleeping peacefully in the bed next to him.

"Yeah, don't worry. I couldn't sleep," he said with a sigh, collapsing onto his back.

"Me either." She leaned against the door frame, crossing her ankles together. "I know we're safe here, but it's so scary. Just knowing there are some people out there ready to hurt me or you. Or both." She shivered just at the thought.

"C'mere," he said, lifting his bedding as a welcome to her. She tiptoed over to him, slipping beneath the covers. He had shifted so far in the bed that his back was pressed against the wall, and she laid down to face him. They couldn't see each other very well in the dark, but she focused on the dim light that highlighted only minimal points of his face. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you."

"I know you think that, but not everything is in your control and—"

He stopped her by gripping her waist and pulling the centre of her body as close to his as he could. "No one is gonna touch you, Delaney. I won't let them."

Damn, how did he always manage to make her feel so fucking safe in such terrifying situations? And even a little horny?

She never knew how to respond to him when he made her just melt like that. But, she knew how to kiss him. So, she placed a hand on the back of his neck and pressed a slow, simple kiss onto his lips.

"Can I stay here tonight?"

"I don't want to let you leave, so, yeah." He snaked his arm around her waist, tugging her on top of him so their chests pressed together.

She nuzzled immediately into the crook of his neck, feeling warmth with his arms wrapped so tightly around her body and the blankets he positioned perfectly over her.

They fell asleep just like that and barely moved the entire night.

Who knows how long they could've stayed asleep if not for the loud, classic happy birthday song sounding from just outside the room until their friends were all in the room, carrying a plate of waffles made specifically for Luke.

With a smile, Delaney shifted off to the side of him. It was his moment, so she moved out of the way. However, he did not see it that way.

He pressed his forehead to the top of her hair in attempts to hide the smile he tried (not very hard) to repress. She wiggled away from his lame attempt, causing him to sit up to receive the breakfast.

"Thank you guys," he said simply as he took the plate.

"You're welcome. But, you can't actually eat it in bed. The syrup is sticky and we're on a boat, so." Ashton shrugged, grabbing it back before Luke got the chance to touch it.

They all filed out of the room, almost in the same order they came in, with Quinn and Ashton both forcing their eyes to linger curiously on the two. Their expressions read 'I fucking knew it'.

Delaney stood to follow the others out the door but was stopped by Luke restraining her wrist and pulling her back to him. "Not hungry?"

"Starving," he answered simply as she sat back down with him, legs on either side of him. "But you look so pretty, waking up in my bed with me. I don't know how you could expect me to resist."