𝗧𝗮𝗹𝗸 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲 ❤︎

A/N: Hey y'all... soo, sorry for not updating much. as some of y'all probably know already, the summer holidays ended in the UK last week.

i was gonna update on the weekdays but school took everything out of me..

now I've gotta practice for next year cause of GCSE's, and I gotta take school more seriously.

That doesn't mean I'll update any less though, i promise. It's just the first week that was the worst. <3

Anyways, enjoy this.
Mute!Reader x Maria :)

Also, the image above, I'm debating on if I should make it my profile picture or not :-/

-

You were not a very talkative person. In fact, you didn't talk at all.

You had a communication disorder. Anytime something came out of your mouth, it would mostly make conversations awkward.

You never had a family or friends, due to the fact that you were an orphan as a child. Meaning you had no one to communicate to. No company.

So, you just chose not to speak at all. And that's the way it always has been since you were young. It was way simpler.

Recently, you joined S.H.I.E.L.D. There would be people who wondered why you never talked. Or people who whispered about you, as you walked past, but you payed it no attention.

Especially the apparent 'Former Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.'or as most would say: 'Fury's Right Hand' or 'Second in Command.'
Maria Hill.

In all honesty, her presence was actually a little bit intimidating. So, at least she's good at her job. But there was something about her..

She would randomly greet you while you work. Which was kind of odd, since she didn't do that to anyone else.

And, when you did nothing but a nod in return, she'd always let out an almost inaudible sigh of defeat.

You knew straight away she wanted you to speak. You knew that one of her speciality was reading people, based their emotions, voice, composure or facial expressions. But when it came to you..

You didn't speak at all,

You showed little to no emotion,

Your composure was the same every day, no matter how many hours you had to work, or no matter how hard you worked,

Even during missions, or after being really badly hurt,

your facial expressions were dull and emotionless.

She couldn't read you.

It was somewhere around the afternoon, when you were researching on a holographic photo assigned to you, when Maria approached you.

"Afternoon, Agent L/N." Maria greeted. You nodded at her, not even turning away from your work. You heard Maria scoff behind you.

"You up for lunch? I'm almost certain they fixed the broken coffee machine too." She requested. She was trying to make you speak.

You opened a tab on your hologram, typing your words in a search bar. {You're certain, or almost certain?} You typed, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Regard that last statement. I meant I'm certain." She rephrased. You nodded in approval, putting your fingers back on the keyboard.

{I guess I'll have to take your word for it.} You typed, looking back up to her. You could've sworn that you saw a slight shine in her eyes, along with the corners of her mouth pulling up a bit.

She attempted to cover it up with a cough, hoping you didn't notice. "Right then, we best be on our way." She spoke, leading the both of you to the canteen.

Shortly after the both of you arrived, you heard a few whispers, and you could feel the eyes on you. Maria scoffed in disapproval.

"Ignore them." She ordered, handing you a fresh cup of coffee. You nodded. There was an awkward silence, on your walk back to your work desk, but Maria chose to clear it up.

"Told you the coffee machine was fixed." She spoke, attempting to strike a conversation. You just grabbed a pen from your blazer pocket, and wrote on the coffee cup.

"Stop trying, Hill."

She automatically frowned after reading it. "You really don't like to speak, huh?" She asked. You shrugged in reply. She frowned again.

It made your heart sting. Why though? You barely even know her. She's just a work frie-
acquaintance. A work acquaintance.

You sighed. This time an audible sigh. A sigh from your actual voice.

"You just want me to speak, so you can read me easier. So here you go." You spoke. "Happy now?" You added. Her mouth parted open, a bit before closing it again.

A slight pink shade spread on her cheeks. "Your voice is.." She cut herself off, before saying something she might regret.

"You should speak more often." She corrected herself. You shook your head.

"Whenever I speak, people just... I'm just not a good communicator, okay? I'd prefer it if I just didn't speak at all." You admitted.

"I can help. Talk to me. You don't have to talk to anyone else. I'll help you." Her tone sounded like more of a request, than an order. Almost as if she wasn't forcing you into anything. It made you feel.. Safe.

You sighed, looking around to see if anyone heard your conversation. "I'll consider it Hill." You mumbled.

"Maria." She corrected.

"I'll consider it, Maria." You corrected.

A/N: Jeez, this one was long. My fingers hurt now.

Also, random information, but I saw videos on TikTok of UK spiders, and I'm very paranoid of my own home since I live in the UK. 🙃🙃🙃

Part 2? <3