Chapter 10- Hector

A/N: Per the usual, the photo above is not mine. But I hope you guys all enjoy this chapter, it is the longest one thus far!!!

"Go, go, go, go!!" Rapunzel shouted at Max. He reared back and began to sprint, Fidella catching up beside him. All passengers grabbed onto the caravan for dear life as the horses sped up. Varian, holding onto part of the roof, flipped around to see the man chasing them.

He was relatively tall and he was on top of a fierce rhino, with two bearcats flanking the rhino on both sides. Varian heard a clang and turned to see Cassandra pulling her sword out of its sheath. She climbed around the sides of the vehicle and positioned herself on the back porch of the caravan.

"Who is this guy?" Fitzherbert shouted, sitting down next to Rapunzel in the front.

"I don't know, but I don't think we should stop and find out!" Cass answered, briefly glancing at her companions before turning back to the bearcat man. Varian let go of the roof, rolling his eyes. Recently he'd been forgetting he was a ghost, which seemed like it would be impossible but apparently not. He observed the man chasing them. He looked slightly familiar but Varian couldn't recall a time seeing him before. Varian then got an idea. Floating through the roof, Varian grabbed a spare quill and ink and grabbed a random notebook on the table.

He came back up to his spot on the roof and began to sketch. Thanks to his time alone in his lab and his constant experimenting, Varian had learned to multi-task and to work fast. In under a minute, he had a full body sketch of the man. It wasn't half bad either.

Looking up from his sketch, Varian realized the guy was falling in his direction. He grabbed the notebook, ink, and quill, and moved out of the way before the man could land. Surprisingly, Adira showed up as well. Varian took a closer look at his sketch. That was one of the downsides of multi-tasking and going so fast, he missed the small details he drew.

That can't be right. Varian thought to himself. He looked between the man fighting Adira and the one in his notebook. No, he got the sketch correct. He had that strange symbol that his dad did on that chest in his bedroom. The circle with three lines. He heard the shouting increase and turned to look at the front.

Oh great, we're going off a cliff.

Varian huffed a sigh and prepared to float down with them. As the caravan went off the edge, he was able to notice in time that Rapunzel caught them all in her hair. Varian sighed when he spotted his raccoon in Eugene's arms. It was a good thing he noticed she caught them all, too, otherwise he could have dragged Rapunzel down too.

Varian realized that he was still holding the notebook, ink, and quill. Oh jeez that would look weird. He floated over into the shadows so no-one would notice the floating objects. Eventually, Rapunzel slowly pulled everyone up onto the ledge. Varian was slightly sad to see that the man was gone.

But Adira told them about him. His name is Hector, and he is a part of the Brotherhood. When she was done explaining what that meant, Varian was filled with joy. He still had living family members, even if they weren't blood related.

As they began to walk, the large tree loomed up in front of them. Varian felt a pair of eyes on his back and turned to see a bearcat staring directly at him. It turned and ran away when they met each other's eyes.

"Hey Raps?" he called over his shoulder.

What's up?

"We're being followed by Hector."

Alright... thanks.

The group approached the tree slowly and cautiously. They were all in awe at the size and a few, including Varian, were inspecting the carvings on the walls. As Varian went through the entrance, he felt resistance, as if the Tree was trying to keep him out. With one large step, he broke through, dropping his stuff in the process. Unfortunately, Lance noticed, and went over to him.