Chapter 2 - Promises Darlings

I have loved you with a steadfast, jump out of a plane, kind of love. 

Taylor was Zara's best friend and fellow barista at a coffee shop called Cuppa. As her closest confidant, it was Taylor's self-appointed duty to convince her that things with Nathaniel weren't as bad as they seemed. 

"Don't freak out. He's not going to say anything to Nathaniel."

She stood next to Zara stacking paper coffee cups so high Zara would need a step-stool to reach the top. Taylor was giant status compared to Zara's 5'2". 

"Besides, you know Liam. He always has an angle. He's been like that since Middle School." She teetered the last cup with a flourish. The stack just out of Zara's reach. 

Not to be deterred, "I need more cups."

As Taylor went looking for more cups, Zara grabbed some off the top of the stack and began a second one next to it. 

The bell above the door clanged. A mother, with what looked like her pre-teen daughter, walked in and immediately made their way to the counter. The daughter followed slightly behind with a look of annoyance that could win a golden popcorn at the MTV Movie Awards. Teen angst vibes hung off her like Twilight fans on Team Edward. 

They walked up to the counter while Zara stood at the register. "What cuppa can I get you today?" She forced a smile as she said the dreaded line their manager insisted they use with every customer. 

"Do you have smoothies here?" The woman searched the menu board, but they knew she wouldn't find smoothies there. 

"No. I'm sorry. Just coffee and tea. We do have a tea cooler. It's chilled and we put fresh strawberries in it." She gave the lady her most practiced, and winning smile. She hoped the lady would latch on to the suggestion and make her life easier. 

The woman turned to her daughter, who shook her head furiously 'no.' Smoothies were a thing now. Zara and Taylor constantly begged their manager to add smoothies to the menu for just this reason, angsty pre-teens, but she continued to refuse.

Zara waited patiently for the look of disappointment and resign, and at least she wasn't disappointed. 

"That's okay." The woman sighed. "I'll take a cup of coffee to go. Light roast, if you have it." 

"And there it is, the mistrust." Taylor whispered to her as she pretended to wipe the counter.

"Would you like to stay for a Cuppa, or..." Zara said, deflating a little towards the end as she saw the confusion on the lady's face. Curse her manager for making her say these lines. 

"I'm sorry. I don't understand."

Of course you don't. I don't either, she thought.

"Sorry about that. Would you like it here, or to go?"

"To go. Please." She was practically begging for this conversation to be over, desperate to leave. Who could blame her? 

Taylor, taking far too much enjoyment in this interaction, handed the lady a cup of coffee as soon as she paid. They both watched as the mother and daughter argued all the way out to the parking lot.

"I don't think they will be back." Taylor hopped on the counter. 

"You think? I mean, I get that other coffee shops have smoothies, but clearly we are a coffee shop." This was such a usual occurrence that Zara was ready to bring in their home blender and start making them herself as a side job. She leaned her elbows on the counter. Taylor jumped down and leaned into Zara, doing the same.