Chapter Sixteen

I woke up to find myself in bed, back in Mirabelle's room, with her asleep beside me. It was nighttime, but I could see she'd cleaned up her face and there weren't any signs of trauma to her ear. I couldn't see her shoulder, but the way she was laying made me guess that it was as good as healed.

How long have I been out?

Mirabelle was still asleep, and somehow didn't move as I eased out of bed.

My head was killing me. The need for Ibuprofen led me to tiptoe to the bathroom. I caught my reflection in the mirror and paused. I hadn't seen myself last night, but with Wes and Ezra's reaction to my face, I would've thought I'd look worse now than I did. Yeah, I could see bruises, but nothing looked like it'd felt when it happened. The worst thing I had was the headache.

I quietly searched the drawers and couldn't find anything for pain. Giving up, I eased out the door and down the stairs to the kitchen. If there wasn't medicine there, I didn't know where it would be.

Two figures sat at the kitchen island, seeming just as startled as I was. It was Ezra and Wes. It looked like they were just talking, but because of how quiet they got when I walked in, I figured they'd been talking about me.

"What time is it?" I questioned, going straight to the cabinets and drawers to search.

"It's a little after four in the morning," Wes responded, the most calm I'd heard him speak to me since I'd first got here. "What are you looking for?"

"Pain meds. My head feels like it's gonna explode. Can't sleep."

Wesley got up and grabbed a pill bottle out of a cabinet I hadn't got to. I held out my hand for it, but he surprised me by pouring me a glass of water before handing me it and the medicine.

I sat down at the island with them and took the medicine, sipping on the water slowly. Ezra and Wes were quiet. I could guess why Ez was so quiet, but I wasn't sure about Wes.

"So you told them?" I asked Ezra. There was no need to put it off. I needed to know what they knew.

"I told them she's your daughter," he responded, quietly. "Only because they both needed to know at that time. I wouldn't have said anything otherwise."

I nodded. I wasn't upset. I was going to tell Mira anyway. I would have if it hadn't been for that phone call. Now there was so much more to think about.

"Asher," Wes's voice drew me out of my thoughts. "I need to apologize—"

"Apology accepted," I interrupted. I wasn't exactly innocent. I didn't need an apology.

"Hear me out," he continued. "I was thinking harsh things about you. I knew the Luna would hear my thoughts. I wanted her to know not to trust you because I didn't trust you."

"'Cause I definitely proved I could be trusted the whole time I was here," I replied, heavy on the sarcasm.

Ezra grinned. "Why don't y'all just kiss and make up already? Both of you were in the wrong. Heck, I'm the only one in here that has sense."

That made Wes grin. I lightly smacked Ez on the arm, not quite able to grin.

"You called Sara?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

Ezra nodded. "She is fine. Ready to come live with us."

I stayed silent, knowing any response I gave would have a bit of jealousy attached. I hadn't spoken to my little girl since I left her with Nicole to move to Blanton. I had planned to have her here with me by now. I'd wanted to be able to call her with good news about when we'd be able to bring her here, too. But of course, my move here had seen my life turn upside down when I met Mira. About a month had passed since then. I couldn't help but be upset that he'd spoken to her before I did.