Chapter Eleven

"Here's where you leave," I told Ezra when we had stopped outside of the garage.

He answered me by turning the car off and opening his door. I was too wound up to argue.

Before I could knock on the door it opened. Wesley stood in front of me and I hadn't ever thought his face could look that angry.

"I want to tell you that if you're not certain you want her that you should just leave, but I know that she needs you too much right now to care."

I didn't say anything, mostly because I didn't know what to say.

He stepped out of our way and let us in, then led us up the stairs.

"If you say anything to her about our phone conversation today I will personally castrate you."

I took that to heart and followed him up to her room, wondering why she had not come running to me yet. I had imagined that she would have stormed to me by now and screamed at me or had me thrown in a locked room by now.

Wes gestured for me to open her door. I slowly did and took a step inside. The room was dark, barely any light coming through the window curtains. I could clearly see the outline of Mirabelle laying in her bed covered in a sheet from chest to toe. I could barely see her chest rising and falling with her breathing. Her face was discolored and her bones were showing through the skin of her face. Her hair was messy and sweaty and her face had a sheen of sweat on it.

"What happened?" I had to ask. I walked closer to the bed, and she didn't move. I hadn't been gone very long and she had been fine the night before I left.

"You're a waste of human tissue, that's what happened."

I side eyed Wes, genuinely irritated.

"Don't be looking at me like that now. I get that as much of a douche as you are, you're still my Alpha, but you are the problem here and I personally don't think you deserve her or this pack."

I walked closer and reached out to touch her before changing my mind and withdrawing my hand.

"You didn't care to stay long enough to find out.... If early-stage mates are separated for a long amount of time, her body takes your absence as rejection and slowly starts to fail. She could have died because you didn't care enough to think how your leaving would affect her."

I couldn't wrap my head around what he was saying. I glanced at Mirabelle's unchanging face and back at Ezra to see him looking confused.

"You're telling me she would have died from separation from me not being here?"

"Isn't that what I just said?" he asked, crossing his arms. "You were almost too late."

So this is what he meant about now being my last chance. I couldn't get my mind to comprehend that if I had not come back she would have died. What kind of curse was this? I would have been responsible. I couldn't believe it but I had to because the proof was right in front of me.

I reached out and brushed Mirabelle's hair out of her face. I saw a towel on the bedside table and used it to wipe the sweat off of her face. She was cold but sweating.

"Will she be okay?" I asked Wes.

He scoffed. "You mean you care?"

I sent a glare his way, but nodded. I really did. I knew without a doubt that if I'd have known this would happen I would have stayed with her. I thought I could be free. But if it would kill her to not have me around then I would do whatever she needed. I knew I cared about her. Thoughts of her had tormented me since I left, and I had been so concerned before when planning my escape that I couldn't argue anymore what I was feeling.