new members, birthday gifts, and social experiments

"Captain Sally's and Admiral Jacobson's s crew defeated Smoky Sails Sam once and for all." Conner read from a piece of paper. 

Clapping echoed and cheers and whoops started to rise as Conner went back to take a seat at the back of the editorial room. 

It was the last school day for that month, and people who attended the writing workshop were now presenting their final short stories. The stories, of course, would determine whether they are eligible to join that year's writing club. The best part was, these children are exempted from their regular classes as the presentation took most of the school day. 

"And that's the last person to present." Mrs. Peters called out of the room, checking her checklist. "But before we say goodbye to most of you, I have to say that you all have done exceptionally well for your writing. My advice for you is that you all continue to hone these gifts of yours to tell your story to the world." the teacher paused. "Always let the world inspire and influence you, but never let it discourage you. The more it discourages you, the more it needs you. As writers, we have the privilege and responsibility to create a new world for the better. Storytellers are the shepherds of ideology, the street pavers of progress, and the scientists of the soul.  If it weren't for people like us writers... well, we'd still be living in the Dark Ages." 

Clapping started to erupt again. Conner snapped back to his conscious self. Even though he only heard the last sentence of what she had said, the boy suddenly viewed Mrs. Peters as a sort of inspiration. Someone, he could look up to. Someone who reminded him of home....

"Did you understand what she was saying?" A girl behind Conner whispered to her friend beside her.  "Sounds like a whole lot of waffle to me-" 

"All right then, thank you for that inspiring speech dear Principal." Mrs. York said, cutting in through the noise which was growing louder. "I would now like you all to catch up with the rest of the day's classes. I would also like to remind everybody that the students who got in the club will be posted next week, October 8." 

Chattering increased as the students made to leave the crowded room. 

"Conner?!" a voice of a female rang, panting as she struggled against the crowd to find him. "Oh- Conner there you are." 

"Bree-" Conner's voice trailed off when he saw her. "What a surprise." 

"Um.. I just wanted to say that you did great with your short story. I really hope you can get in. The writing club also manages the school newspaper and-" 

The two made eye contact. The blue eyes staring at the brown. 

"Bree!!" a girl said fighting her way to Bree. "Want to go to the library?" 

The two broke eye contact. Everything was awkward once again. For Bree, it felt like being put on the spot by a teacher randomly. As if she snapped out of a trance-

"Yeah ok-" Bree said awkwardly to the girl. "See you soon Conner." 

Conner jumped back to life. "Yeah yeah of course." 

Bree was now pulled out of the room by her friend. Conner found himself with Percy and Matt and headed out to the cafeteria as right now it was a free study period. 

"Bree Campbell-Bailey," Percy said. "Has a  nice ring to it." 

Conner punched Percy's back playfully. "Shut it." 

A girl in the hall blushed as Conner and his friends passed. "Hi, Conner-" 

It was now time for Percy to punch Conner's back. "Easy jock-"