contests and co-authors

Blue skies, eyes like Conner's shone brighter than the shimmering sun. Full of glee, he walked to English with Matt and Bree. He didn't know what was the cause of his happiness but he was sure something good would happen that day. 

And It did. 

Once everybody was in English class, Mrs. York wrote something on the whiteboard which caught everyone's attention. It was the announcement for the writing contest. 

"First of all," Mrs. York said. "The short story you guys wrote will go as this term's English project. None of you will go home without grades because of this." 

Chattering increased. 

Fine. Conner said inside his head. So that short story I passed up just now is graded. At least I won't be that sad if my writing wasn't good enough for the contest. 

"The two seventh-grade representatives" Mrs. York read from a piece of paper. "Bree Campbell and Britney White." 

Chattering was getting louder and louder by the second. For the first time, Conner was in deep thought. He glanced at Britney and saw her smiling pompously and bragging to people around her. Bree on the other hand tried to keep herself calm although she still looked pleased with herself. 

Fine. Conner thought. Just fine. I mean, Bree got in... 

"Congrats Ms. Campbell and Ms. White," Mrs. York said eyeing them. "Rules say that you will also need a co-author who is gonna help you with the short story you are gonna enter. You are to pick anyone from any class as long as he or she is in seventh grade. I would like to know who it will be right now."

Britney stood up. "I choose Conner Bailey as my co-author." 

Everyone gasped. Bree just stared at her as if thinking deeply. 

Bree stood up. "How many co-authors do we need?" 

"Goodness, is having one co-author enough? Well, if you insist.." Mrs. York said and re-read the paper she was holding. "According to the rules maximum amount of co-authors is two." 

"Then I choose Alex Bailey and Bianca Walkins," Bree said and sat down. 

"Good," Mrs. York said. "If I may, I would like to call the authors and co-authors of the contest to my office at lunchtime. I would like to discuss more details of this contest there. Now, our next lesson is about...." 

Although Conner didn't mean to, he stared at Bree. Bree also glanced at him and saw his smiling face. Her muscles for some reason tried to smile? Well, that was how Bree described it anyway. She gave him a thumbs up. Conner then glanced behind him and saw Britney staring through his blue eyes as if scanning his soul or something. 

 🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊🖊

It was 12PM, lunch had just started. 

Tuesday, Oct 12, 12nn 

Conner: Hey! Wru? 

Bree: I just got of history- hbu?

Conner: just got out of Pe 
                 my stomach hurts :| 

Bree: its ok, drink ur water         
            and try not to eat the food at the cafe first 
            like mb try packed lunch next time after pe? 

Conner: Ig so 
                 anyway what time are we gonna go to the office? 
                 for the contest thingy?