Chapter 2

-9 years later-

Nightwing woke up with a jolt sitting strait up and breathing heavy, beads of sweat falling into his eyes.

A nightmare.

Again.

There was a russel beside him and he looked down to see starfire starting to stir from her slumber "mmm wing you ok?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine get some sleep." He said in the most convincing voice he could do.

"Ok..." she didn't sound convinced but put her head back on the pillow and closed her eyes nonetheless "love you" she muttered

"I love you to" he planted a kiss on her forehead and walked out the door.

He walked into the kitchen sighing when he saw the time. 4:23. Great nobody's going to be up for ages.

He poured himself a glass of water and leaned onto the counter trying to slow down his breathing

He chugged the water and sat down on the couch lying down his eyes closing in desperate need of sleep. That was a mistake.

He woke up but in a completely black room that seemed to go on forever. First it was just nothingness then Conner stood there staring right at him his gaze was so intense nightwing was worried his laser eyes would start working and burn him to a crisp.

"I wish you had never found me in Cadmus, at least then I would be with people I actually liked not you." His voice was deafeningly loud and echoed around the room. Making him unable to block it out

"Your pathetic no powers and no skill, I bet Batman just adopted you because he felt sorry for you. Ugh your so ANNOYING." Dick turned sharply to his left at megans voice. He took a few steps back the pure venom in her voice and disgust on her face made him want to complete sink into the floor to hide.

He turned to his right running and running in a desperate attempt to get away but the only thing he ran into was kaldur "look at you so sad trying to get away your weak giving up running away and leaving the hard stuff for the big guys, like always.

When he took his next step he crashed into someone else. Artemis. "You hurt us hundreds of people just because you thought you were a big boy who could fight the baddies well guess what YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH!" The others chuckles terrified him as they slowly walked closer to him shouting insults.

Then a new voice grabbed his attention "how could you? You betrayed me your a monster. Well guess what I hate you always have always will. God how do you live with yourself nobody cares about you. Your life is pointless. CIRCUS FREAK." Wallys face looked exactly the same as it did when he left except it was different he no longer had the smile lines around his eyes and he no longer fidgeted, -which he will admit sounds dumb but it was one of the things he remembers so clearly the fact that he couldn't stay still itching to cause mistchef and have fun- but now he stood deadly still looking at him with a cold gaze as if looking directly through him.

He slowly sunk to the floor and curled in on his self like a little kid "no, no, no please, I'm sorry" but the group of teens didn't listen to him instead laughing, insulting him, slowly circling him with thier horrible cold disgusted faces.

He tried to close his eyes block his ears but nothing helped he was stuck in a horrible prison "NO, stop stop please."

"TRAITOR"

"IDIOT"

"WORTHLESS"

"FREAK"

"ROBIN, ROBBBINNNNN, ROBIN!"

"GYPSY"

Nightwing realised he was crying no longer caring about holding up a strong facade the chants and yelling got so loud he struggled to breath as his previous friends drew closer coving him in a fog, a heavy blanket silencing his screams, dulling his senses and tightly wrapping him in a suffocating embrace.

"Stop, stop please!"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Dick shot upwards in a desperate grasp for air. His clammy hands clutching the material of the couch beneath him.

His eyes darted around the room. Feaverly taking everything in, in quick glances. His eyes strained around the dark room trying to remember where he was.

'He was at the Titans tower, with his real family, he was alone, he was safe' he squeezed his eyes shut trying to get his eratick heartbeat and shallow breaths back to normal before it developed into a full blown panic attack. He forced his fingers to release their death grip on the couch to instead press against his eyes. He let out a shuddering breath his limbs shaking uncontrollably. He swung his legs off the couch and roughly pushed his hands through his hair. 'Your safe' dick reminded himself.

"Your a monster!"

He could hear his heart racing in his ears. He leaned heavily back on the couch staring up at the ceiling. 'Deep breaths. In. Out. Again.' He inhaled deeply thankful when it didn't shudder as much as the last.

"Daddy?" He may or may not have jumped when he suddenly heard the new voice 'how long had she been standing there?'

He slowly stood up and walked towards his daughter "hey baby. What are you doing up?" He picked her up and held her above him in the air as he spun around.

She giggled at his silly actions. The small sounds of joy made dick smile forgetting about his horrible nightmares for a moment.

"I can't sleep, I need a story and mums asleep." Her bottom lip stuck out and her bright green eyes wide in an adorable puppy face.

Nightwing sighed in defeat unable to say no. He sat down on the couch Mar'i in his lap she had long dark almost purple hair that reached her knees. How she was only 5 and had such long hair was beyond nightwing. "Story!" She begged again.

"Ok ok, fiiiiiiine." He purposely dragged the fine out pulling a funny face at her. "There once was a monkey who lived at the circus he was amazing at swinging on the vines and doing all sorts of flips. The other animals LOVED to watch him. But one day a big bad bat came to take the monkey to a new home. The monkey agreed of course and he got to meet new animals they became friends and formed a baddie stopping team. Just like the Titans. Everything was great until one terrible day the big bad bat and his monkey friends turned on him calling HIM a baddie, they kicked him out with nowhere to go."

Mar'i who was very interested in the story interrupted "hey! Dad this is a terrible story! There's no happy ending the monkey is just sad again."

Nightwing chuckled at her pout "hang on I'm getting there. So anyways the little monkey left the big bad bats jungle and moved to a new one at first he was scared and struggled fighting the baddies by himself but one very good day he met the most beautiful red monkey he had ever seen! He fell in love with the red monkey and they found lots of new monkey friends one monkey was green and could change into a TIGER!, another monkey was half robot and the last one was a purple monkey who was a little shy and kinda creepy at first but turned out to be a great friend. The original monkey created a new team an even better one then before and had the best time ever he even had a very own baby monkey." He tapped mar'i's nose.

"Ok you got your story now go. To. Bed." She took a long yawn and rubbed her eyes

"Ok..." she slowly stood up from his lap and walked back towards her bedroom "goodnight dad."

"Night, love you."

—————

So this was very very cringe and I apologise.

That is all.