Chapter Three

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I've been really busy for days.

Buuuut, I finally got my covid vaccine!

Anyway, here's chapter 3 of Gotham's Twins!

---

Jason really wanted to hit Dick with a bat.

Ironic huh? A sort-of-bat being hit with a bat.

If Jason wasn't so pissed he'd be laughing.

But he was pissed. So pissed.

Or maybe it wasn't really anger he felt, more like...dejection.

Dick had touched something that didn't belong to him, his sister's barrette.

The one thing Jason had left of his twin sister, a small pink barrette he had stolen for her from a random kid on the streets.

It was shaped like a flower and covered in sparkles. Marinette--his little Mars Bar--had worn it all the time, she had only taken it off that day so he could help her put in her dark hair properly.

She had wanted to look fancy, or so she claimed. Marinette had been laughing at one of Jason's jokes, her face had turned red and their were tears leaking from her eyes.

Jason had laughed with her for a minute before turning away for one second.

One second.

One second.

One second.

One second and she was gone.

Jason had turned around, expecting to be met with laughter and that brilliant smile his sister always had, even when they were starving or stealing, but instead of his twin's bright smile, there was no one there.

She had disappeared.

Jason had looked everywhere for days. He spent every waking moment searching for Marinette.

But he never found her.

And now Dick was touching the last piece of her he had left.

"So who's is this anyway, Jay bird? Seems like it belongs to a kid."

Jason felt the usual fury rise within him as he watched Dick lounge on the couch in the Batcave, twiddling with the pink clip.

Jason stomped forward and snatched it out of Dick's hand, cradling it like a precious jewel, and to him, it was.

Dick blinked up at him, surprise lighting his features. "Woah, Jay, what's with you?"

Jason glared at his adoptive brother and shoved the clip into his pocket where it would be safe.

"Its--" Jason sighed, feeling his anger disappear. It's not like Dick knew how important it was. "It's nothing. A trinket."

It hurt to say.

Dick blinked at his younger brother, "Well that was a terrible lie."

The older boy stood and walked over to Jason, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You don't have to tell me, Jay. But whatever it is, I'll respect it."

Dick was being genuine and Jason hated it.

But maybe he could tell Dick about it, it wasn't like it was Bruce or Tim he would be telling.

"It was my sister's." Dick stared incredulously at the unusually awkward boy.

Jason continued, "Her name was Marinette, we're twins. We, uh, we were separated before I died." Jason took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"And she's probably dead now, I haven't heard anything from her in years. I don't even know where she is or if she's even alive."