TWENTY-SIX

( 26 一 GRAND ESCAPE. )

Finding Jude and Ruby was easier than Clara thought. The idiots hadn't taken out Jude's trackers.

That meant that instead of tracking down their every move, the team was driving straight to their location. Vida and Clara were sat in the bed of a truck surrounded by the other agents. Not one of them would utter a word to Clara or Vida. Because Cate wasn't there, a senior agent named Kane was their minder.

Kane definitely wasn't Clara's favourite agent but he usually got the job done without too much hassle. For the most part he just ignored Vida and Clara, leaving them to nap in the back of the truck while the other agents conversed. The only time he bothered them was for intel on Ruby, what they thought she would do, where she would go.

Vida and Clara sat side by side, shoulders pressed up against one another. Every now and then the truck would drive over a pothole and everyone would jostle around, the senior agents grumbling about their card game. Other than that it was relatively peaceful. The calm before the storm.

They were set to arrive at a train station in Providence, Rhode Island in about an hour. According to Jude's trackers, that's where they'd holed up, no doubt waiting for a train to take them to North Carolina where Liam and Cole had lived.

They still had some time before arriving at the station so Clara let her head rest against Vida's shoulder. Allowing the hum of the engine lull her to sleep.

❊❊❊

Clara woke to a sharp pressure in her side, something distinctly boot-shaped digging into her. She snapped away finding a senior agent sneering down at her. "Thanks for joining the land of living Girly, we're here, get your ass up."

It took Clara a second to comprehend his words but as soon as she did she jumped up and rushed out of the truck. The other agents were already swarmed together, preparing to enter the station.

Clara quickly checked to make sure her gun was still in its halter before making her way towards Vida. She was doing some stretches to loosen up from the drive when she noticed Clara. "Hey, sorry I couldn't get you up, the fuckers pushed me out of the truck before I got a chance," she said, her glare focused on the other agents. Clara brushed off her concerns with a wave of her hand and took a moment to observe her surroundings.

The station was about 50 metres away, a parking lot between the entrance and the agents. It was relatively empty, only a few cars here and there. That was both a positive and a negative. A positive because it would be easier for them to find Ruby and Jude, a negative because it would be easier for the team to find Ruby and Jude.

Kane called everyone forwards and all the agents fell into formation, creeping towards the station's entrance. They worked like a well oiled machine. They could perform the Op in their sleep, having the movement drilled into their skulls through meticulous training.