Part 3/10

After what felt like hours of just going over the rubric and expectations for chem class, the bell finally rang again, signaling it was time for the last class of the day: art! I was so excited, it seemed like so much fun!

I waved goodbye to Chloe as we headed our separate ways, her heading to the music room next door while I headed into my safe space.

Art had always been a strong and great foundation in my life. Sure I had gotten sad or upset over something at one point like every person does, but I could always take out a pencil and a piece of paper to draw and felt my negative feelings get lifted away.

As I walked into the cozy-seeming art room, I immediately spotted Tyler, who had saved me a seat beside her at a table near the back of the room. She smiled softly and waved me over. I made my way across the room to her and sat down, giving her a warm smile in return.

"Hey! So how has your first day been so far?" she asked me, eyes filled with genuine curiosity. I nodded my head in thought before replying, "It was good. I've been looking forward to this class all fucking day though." Tyler nodded at my response as if to say 'I know what you mean'.

There were a ton of girls in this class for some reason. Like...there were some guys in here too like a guy with an oversized sports jacket with dark brown hair that was in a middle part. He looked mentally and physically dead at this point. I honestly wasn't too far from that state myself after all of that crazy science shit.

Eventually the art teacher walked in with quite the rush in her step. She apologized deeply for being late and starting discussing the criteria and plans for this semester.

She was suddenly interrupted by the door opening to reveal an out of breath fluffy-haired brunette.

Holy shit he's the guy from lunch.

A majority of the girls started to squeal and giggle, and I immediately knew why they had signed up for art class.

"Fuck, why is Tooru in this class? Like I don't mind him all that much but seriously it feels like he's following me. I already have like...two other classes with his obnoxious ass." Tyler whispered to me. "Hmph, lucky." I whispered back, wishing I had that many classes with him, or at least one other one. I didn't really pay attention to my other classes that much, but I don't exactly recall seeing him either.

"Mr. Oikawa, you're late." the art teacher deadpanned. As if she hadn't just been late two minutes ago.

"Sorry! I got caught up helping a first year find his next class. The poor guy looked really lost." Oikawa answered back with a cheery smile on his face. Fuck, why was he so cute?! And considerate of others too, damn. You'd think he'd be some sort of snob given his reputation.

"Fine, just...just go sit over there with Kunimi I suppose." the art teacher, who introduced herself as Kaori-san, replied with a small sigh.

Oikawa went and sat next to the boy I saw from moments ago, immediately striking up a small conversation with him. Oikawa seemed like a really friendly person. Of course, they both had the same jacket so they were probably teammates and knew each other at least fairly well.

"-As I was saying," Kaori-san continued, "We will be starting off this semester with a partner project." everyone gasped in excitement. Normally when a project was announced you could probably hear collective groans and complaints. But in art class, projects were normally fun and creative gateways to get your creative juices flowing. Tyler and I were going to rock our project-

"And before anyone asks, I'll be picking your partners. I know this might seem slightly annoying, but this way you can perhaps meet some new people, make some new friends whom you share common ground with as an artist." Kaori-san explained. Everyone's excitement was now partially gone, like an almost deflated balloon that was still clinging to the little amount of helium it had left inside it.

Tyler and I huffed out in disappointment, and right then I knew we were thinking the same thing.

"Okay, so if there are no further questions I'll go ahead and assign pairs. After I do so and you meet your partner, you will come to me and pick one piece of paper from this glass bowl. Whichever you pick will be your theme, or idea you are to base your art around. It can be any media, there are no limits. As long as you turn it in on time, of course." Kaori-san then picked up her clipboard and stared at something for a few seconds, which I assumed was a list of everyone's names, while chewing on the cap of her Bic pen.

"Alright, let's have Tyler and Kunimi together...Kindaichi and Mei...how about Asumi and Yumeko...and-"

I zoned out for a bit, not paying attention until I heard my name again. "-and Madison. There, that's all the pairs! Now go meet up with your partner and get a topic!" Kaori-san announced, though I didn't even hear who my partner was. Fuck.

I stood up, everyone seeming to have found their partner already. I stood alone in the bustling classroom, not really sure where to turn. I didn't want to ask Kaori-san, because then it would look like I hadn't been paying attention. Which I hadn't been, but I didn't want her knowing that.

I suddenly felt a gentle tap on my shoulder and I turned to see who it was. My heart started thumping out of my chest when I was met face to face with Oikawa Tooru.

"Hey there...you're Madison, right?" he asked in a calm and sweet tone.

"Oh, um yeah that's me." I said bashfully, giving the brunette a shy smile. 'I shouldn't show him I think he's that hot, he might start getting ideas or something.' I thought to myself. If I was going to be stuck in this situation, I needed to act rationally. Especially if I just so happened to be in this situation with him.

He gave me a big grin in return. "Perfect! Looks like we're partners. Come on, let's go get our topic and start brainstorming!" he said enthusiastically, beaming as he walked towards the front of the room, though it looked more like a cocky strut.

"You can pick it." I told him once we both walked up to the glass bowl full of papers and possibilities. Oikawa nodded and reached his pretty and slender hand into the bowl, letting it sink about halfway down before drawing out a small piece of the white parchment.

He began unfolding the small paper in his hands as we walked back to our seats. I figured I'd just go ahead and move my stuff over to where he was sitting since Kunimi had apparently taken over my spot.

Oikawa chuckled from beside me as he stared at the words on the paper. "Well well, this should prove to be interesting." he said as I moved closer to him to see the paper more clearly.

"Your art must demonstrate cliché romantic scenarios in a high school setting."

I pursed my lips and nodded as I proceeded to fiddle with my thick and straight brown hair, twisting a few minor strands into a tiny braid.

Well well. The brunette was right. This would prove to be an interesting project indeed.