Chapter 9

Three weeks passed without any significant change in schedule. Shay finished up her physical therapy at the clinic. Which was both a relief and a curse. Somehow, in his mind, Stetson had figured that, as long as she was doing something to "recover", she was still getting better. But he was wrong. She was as good as she'd ever be. And he didn't want to accept that.

Bills had started showing up after the first week. He'd stuffed them away and prayed hard that he'd be able to pay them. They were piling up despite his attempts to stem the flow. He'd cut his phone service. Canceled his credit card. And nothing was working. His dad was paying him for his help but he knew it would never be enough. He'd been backed into a corner by a bunch of money-hungry debt collectors. He realized, with no small measure of apprehension, that he would have to sell his truck. It was in good shape and would bring a nice price—enough to hold off the money troubles. At least some of them. But that would mean he would be completely reliant on his father or his brothers to chauffeur him around. It was a sacrifice he was willing to make. On Sunday afternoon, he asked Kyle if he would be willing to pick him up from Tyler. His brother seemed confused but agreed. His father demanded to know why he would pull his brother away from his family. Especially since they hadn't spent much time together lately.

"I just have some business to take care of. But you're right. I'll see if Matt can do it."

"Nope. I'll do it." Wayne's offer surprised him. But of all of them, Wayne was the one he'd wanted to avoid. Kyle said nothing but watched his face.

"It's fine. We'll have plenty of time in a few weeks." His father looked over to his son at Wayne's comment and gave a nod.

"Okay. If you're fine with that." Wayne replied that he was and they finished their lunch in relative quiet. His older brother caught his arm as he walked out the front door.

"Hey. What time do you want me to pick you up?" Stetson mentally calculated.

"Five would be good." Wayne nodded. They talked about a place to meet and agreed on the park on Riverside Way.

The trip to the dealership took about fifty minutes. After looking at the dodge, the dealership offered him way over what he would have expected to get from them. He accepted and after nearly two hours of paperwork and title transferring, he realized it was only four. He still had an hour to burn. Which would be fine considering the walk he had to make. When he reached the park around four forty-five, his brother was already there waiting.

"Always on time." Stetson said when he got in the truck.

"I try to be." Wayne said. His brother grinned but he didn't return the gesture. Instead, he turned and looked out the window. Wayne pulled up to a burger joint and ordered for both of them. He handed Stetson a double cheeseburger and he took it. But he just set it down in his lap and looked back out the window. The idea of eating anything right now made him want to heave. Did he just make a bad decision? He didn't want to think so. But he'd been doing that his whole life. Why should it change now? He could answer that question. Because this time, it wasn't for him. It was for his daughter.

"Where's your truck?" Wayne had watched his disinterest in the food and decided it was time to interrogate his younger brother.

"I sold it." Saying the words out loud made it seem more real. More final.

"Why?" He wondered if he should just be open and honest. Wayne hadn't given him a reason to hide anything. Except maybe that he could be a bulldog when he wanted to. But it would be humbling to admit that he was broke. Painful even.

"I needed to." he stated.

"But why?" He knew his brother would push the issue either until he got mad or he shut down.