Chapter 12

Knock, knock. He waited for someone to open the door. He'd spent the night in a rest stop parking lot. He'd risen early to catch Chancy before he headed out to work. When the door swung open, it was Chance who stared back at him. At first his expression was blank. Then recognition dawned in his eyes.

"Stetson Dalton? By golly! I thought you were gone for good. Come on in! Let me get you some coffee." He walked back to the kitchen. If his awkward gate could be considered a walk. The man had been born on a horse. At least that's what people said. As a result, he was more than a little bowlegged, but it fit the old cowboy. If he was any different, he just wouldn't be Chance Williams. "What brings you into my neck of the woods, boy?"

"Business." he answered simply as he took the mug of steaming coffee that Chancy handed him.

"Now that's a word I like." Chance smiled as they settled down at the worn table. "What kind of business?" Stetson contemplated the question. He'd actually come up with another reason for visiting on the way over. One he was sure the old-timer would be happy to assist him with.

"Two kinds. The first is a prospective trainer. The second is a cattle purchase." he said.

"Hmm. Can you explain?" Chance asked.

"I've been thinking about doing some training on the side whenever dad doesn't need my help. I could use the extra work." he admitted. "I was wondering if you know of any locals lookin' for a horse trainer. And the second objective for my visit is an interest in some of your breeding stock." Chance leaned back in his chair, narrowed his eyes, and ran his calloused hand over the two-day-old growth on his jaw.

"Well, son. I could always use a good trainer. You always had a way with the cuttin' horses. So you've got a job with me whenever you need one. As far as the new stock goes," He scratched his chin. "I'd need you to be a bit more specific. I don't remember you bein' one to beat around the bush." Stetson smiled. He normally wasn't.

"I need to purchase some of your bulls with large loins and smaller birth weights." Chancy laughed.

"There we go! That's the Stetson I remember. Course, you are a man now, aren't you?" Stetson shrugged.

"Yeah, I suppose. I'm still pretty stupid though." Chancy chuckled.

"We all are, Stetson." He seemed deep in thought for a minute. Stetson already knew he was mulling over his second request before answering. That's why Stetson had accounted for a couple days. Williams hadn't gotten to where he was by making hasty decisions. "You got a wife?" He winced at the question.

"I did have one. She died a few years ago." Chancy nodded.

"Kids?" he asked.

"Yep. A daughter. Her name's Shay. She'll be six here pretty soon." The older man shook his head. "She'd like you." Chance glanced up.

"I bet you're a good father." His statement held certainty. It was definitely a complement.

"Why do you say that?" he inquired. He had no clue how the man had reached his conclusion. And he was mighty curious.

"I could hear it in your voice. When you said her name." He said. Stetson frowned.

"I feel like I've been botching up my job since day one." he admitted.

"Why don't you tell me about it?" The invite was simple. The answer was not. But still, he spent the next hour relaying the past seven years of his life, telling Chance things he hadn't told anybody else. Things he wasn't proud of. By the time he was finished, he had to admit that it was nice to let some of the well-kept secrets out in the open. And somehow, he knew it wouldn't affect the cowboy's decision to hire him.