Chapter 21

"Mommy!" Heather braced herself as Layla and Amora charged toward her and bombarded her with hugs and squeals of excitement.

"Hey, girls! Were you good listeners for Jade?" she asked as she returned their hugs. She set Jade an inquiring look. Her babysitter nodded.

"They were very good." the young woman said.

"Good!" Heather smiled.

"Who's he?" Layla questioned as she sent Devin a look she'd inherited from their mother—one of complete disgust and superiority. Heather was surprised to hear the disdain in her oldest daughter's voice. Devin looked somewhat wounded by her offensive attitude.

"This is my brother, Devin." Layla's face instantly transformed into a joyful expression.

"Truly?" she asked Heather. Then she turned to Devin. "Are you really my Uncle Devin?"

"I am. Is that good news?" Devin asked. He seemed to relax at her excitement but Heather was still perplexed by her earlier behavior. She had never been the type to be rude to anyone, especially not a guest.

"I gotta run home. I have some chores I need to finish before I can go visit a friend." Jade's voice broke her train of thought.

"Oh sure, hon." She paid Jade more than they had agreed on and the girl's eyes widened.

"I thought you said-" she started but Heather cut her off.

"Nope. You were extra awesome as always. Have fun with your friend!" Heather said.

"Thank you, ma'am." She dashed out of the house and shut the door behind her.

"Well that was nice." Devin said. She'd hoped it had gone unnoticed but she should have known better. Her brother didn't miss anything. She wasn't sure how to respond to his praise so she was thankful when Layla started firing questions at him. Amora, too little to join in on the interrogation, simply clapped her hands and shouted "Dev!" over and over again. It was honestly the cutest thing Heather had ever seen and she noticed her brother go soft.

"How old are you?" inquired Layla.

"Uh..." He leaned back and thought about it. "I'm nineteen."

"Wo-ah!" Layla said with wide eyes. Heather accidentally burst in laughter at her daughter's lack of manners. She couldn't help herself. Even Devin started chuckling after a brief minute of shock.

"Layla, sweetheart, you aren't supposed to ask how old adults are." Heather admonished.

"Why?" her daughter asked. Layla sent her a glance that indicated she thought the rule to be ridiculous. Heather thought long and hard and finally had to admit that she didn't have the slightest clue. All she knew is that it was considered bad etiquette. Devin even tried to explain but all his reasons fell flat.

"I thought Harvard students were supposed to know everything." She teased, good-naturedly.

"I know...I'm gonna have to text my classmates and ask them. Somebody's gotta know." he said.

"I bet Mr. Stetson knows." Layla said with a tilt of her chin. "We should ask him, mommy."

"Stetson!" Amora chimed in.

"Who's Stetson? And what kind of name is that?" Her brother asked.

"Stetson is one of the rancher's sons in the area. And Stetson is a clothing brand. A really nice clothing brand. At least in the world of cowfolk."

"I like Stetson's name. I think it's the nicest name I've ever heard in my entire life." Layla's defense of Stetson was something Heather hadn't been prepared for. Something had changed in her daughter's mind when it came to that man and it scared her.