CHAPTER 24

It had been hard watching Devin leave knowing it would probably be years before she saw him again but Heather liked getting everything back to "normal". Getting back to work again felt good. She'd been fairly busy all morning and for once it wasn't the slightest bit overwhelming. She was enjoying it. Immensely. The bells over the door chimed. A beautiful little girl, probably no older than five or six, bounded through the door. Her mother followed close behind. They headed into the back of the store. A few minutes later they emerged with a white cooler box. As Heather entered the price into the computer, the sweet girl, who had introduced herself as Elora, started telling her all about her kitten, Honey. Apparently with the cooler temperatures, she was concerned her orange tabby would get too cold. Heather smiled at her genuine concern.
"I'm sure this will keep her warm. Nice and insulated." Heather said. Elora nodded. Heather handed her mother a receipt.
"Thank you." the woman said as she grabbed the cooler from the counter, headed toward the exit, and opened the door with her side. Elora skipped along behind her and Heather smiled. She had never seen either of them before. Maybe they were new in town.
By the time her lunch break rolled around, she was more than ready for a break. As she sat eating a burrito, a knock came on the door. The store is obviously closed, people. She set down her lunch and walked out of the office. The face staring through the glass was one she hadn't been anticipating seeing. Hoping...but not expecting. She went and opened the door.
"Stetson." she said in surprise.
"Heather." he responded in that deep voice of his. "You mind if we talk for a few minutes?" He seemed reluctant. But he had come all the way into town so he must have thought it to be important.
"Certainly. Although you should probably know, there's been rumors goin' around ever since the last time you came in to talk." she said with a grimace.
"I've been dealing with rumors ever since I got back. But I wouldn't want to blemish your reputation." he added. She laughed.
207

"I'm not too worried about it, Stetson. As long as I know I'm not doing anything wrong, other people can talk as much as they want."
"I like that in a person." he said. It was a compliment and she was glad to hear he wasn't spewing fire over their last conversation...at least not yet. He walked through the door.
"Maybe we oughta stay in plain sight anyway though." His thoughtfulness touched her. She nodded her assent. An awkward silence followed. He just stared at her. Eventually, she grew uncomfortable.
"How's your family?" Heather asked. He blinked. Then sighed.
"Fine, I guess. Pretty sure my dad's still upset with me." He offered her a crooked grin that vainly attempted to cover the pain in his eyes. "But other than that, they've been alright. Shay's been doing a little better." Another pause.
"Not to be frank or anything," she said, "but you made it sound like you had something to talk to me about." He chuckled.
"That actually was quite blunt." She noticed crow's feet around his eyes when he smiled.
"Habit, I suppose." she mumbled. He nodded.
"The truth is, I'm trying to figure out how to say it."
"Just...spit it out." she encouraged.
"That's what I did last time." She felt her cheeks warm at the memory of their last "talk".
"Look. I actually need to apologize for what I said. I didn't have to be so mean." She gulped and rubbed her forearms as if she was cold.
"I mean, if that's what you believe though..." he trailed off.
208

"No. I-it wasn't all true. In fact, n-none of it was. I guess you could say I was j-just caught off guard." She hated the stutter she got when she was nervous. He cleared his throat.
"I meant what I said, Heather." She looked up into his eyes and saw the sincerity written there.
"I know." she whispered. She couldn't stop hearing Devin's warning in her mind. She needed to be cautious. But she was about to throw caution to the wind. And that was a dangerous state-of-mind to be in.
"Do you?" He took a step closer. "Cause I don't think I said it the right way. I want to try again. Will you let me?" She sensed he truly wanted her to say yes.
"Yes." she stated simply.
"Heather, I know we both have incredibly busy lives, and both of us have pasts that le us scarred for different reasons, but even with all that in mind, I haven't been able to push aside my feelings for you. I knew there was something about you from the first time we met. But that feeling grows stronger the longer I know you. I, without a doubt, know that you are the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with." She felt her eyes widen. He noticed as well. "Maybe that was bold. Maybe it's too soon to say that, but I want you to know that I ain't foolin' around with your heart, Heather. I'm not that man." She felt her heart pounding in her chest. She swallowed hard. He was watching her somewhat nervously. "I've rendered you speechless." He joked. She giggled nervously.
"Just a bit, Mr. Stetson." His eyes brightened at the nickname. "I-I don't even know what to say." She laughed. "I wasn't expecting a visit from you and then to hear all that-I just can't even hardly think." It was his turn to laugh. He was enjoying his effect over her. She could tell. "To be one hundred percent honest with you, Stetson, I'm just uncertain. I mean, we have kids to think about-"
"Who would obviously benefit from a second parent." he threw in. She acknowledged his statement with a nod—feeling a slight bit of grief at the idea of any man taking the place of Sean in the girls' mind. But she also knew that Sean would want
209