xviii.

★彡[ ᴄᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ ᴄʜᴀᴏꜱ ]彡★

It was a drizzly Saturday evening and Isabelle dropped the last of the chopped spring onions into the soup that was bubbling away on the kitchen stove, filling her apartment with a delicious smell.

Her hair was messily tied back from her face, a few strands escaping the hair tie and was wearing the only apron she owned, which was covered in cute lightsaber designs. A knock was heard on the door.

"It's open!" Isabelle called out, knowing from the knock that it was Yelena on the other side. 

And because she was expecting her. Isabelle hadn't had the chance to see Yelena at all for the past week, and Kate and Peter had also been busy lately, much to her disappointment. She heard her boots on the wooden floor, the door closing, and the lock turning. 

Isabelle stirred the pot, fighting to keep herself from looking too eager at Yelena's arrival. The blonde's footsteps turned softer, showing she'd left her shoes at the door and the dark-haired female bit back her smile, more than glad to know she was comfortable here.

"Hey, Izzy," Yelena murmured.

Isabelle turn to greet the blonde with a smile who was at her side, peering down into the simmering broth curiously. "Sorry, I haven't had time to come by this week. It's just been really busy." 

"It's all good," Isabelle assured her with a grin, leaning into her side just a little bit. "Nothing a little hearty food can't fix, right?"

Yelena grinned back, her eyes shinning as she stared back at her. If anyone else looked at the two of them, it would be an obvious guess that they were really close. And it's not like, they weren't. 

Clearing her throat, Isabelle stepped away from Yelena and fetched the bowls from the cupboards. As she spun back to the blonde, Yelena took them from her without a word and begun to set up the coffee table by the couch.

The two ate dinner in comfortable silence with quiet chatter from the TV, and drifting closer together on the couch. By the time their bowls were empty, Isabelle's arm was pressed against Yelena's as they leaned against one another.

Isabelle's eyes were focused on the screen and so were Yelena's but every couple of minutes, the blonde's sapphire eyes shifted to check on the dark-haired female. After the third time, Isabelle couldn't stay silent.

"You alright there, Yelena?"

Yelena faltered for a moment, her eyes jumping between the TV and Isabelle's face like she was trying to play off her previous staring. Her sapphire eyes then settled on Isabelle again and smiled in that heart-melting way.

"Yeah, it just feels nice to have a great friend like you."

Isabelle grinned, slightly blushing from her words. "Me too."

It was quiet between the two before Izzy got an idea. "Wanna bake cookies?"

Yelena's eyes lit up slightly. "Really?"

Isabelle pushed herself off the couch, getting to her feet in answer before offering out her hand. "C'mon then."

Yelena returned the grin and accepted her hand, following after the dark-haired female to the kitchen. Isabelle released her hand and ducked into the pantry, returning a second later with the box with the cookie ingredients in her hands.

"Someone's eager," Yelena commented in a teasing tone.

Isabelle rolled her eyes with a grin and pointed towards the drawers. "Mixing bowls and spoons please, Yelena."

Following orders, the blonde ducked down and pulled out all the baking equipment needed, before placing it onto the tabletop as the two begun to bake. It's wasn't very precise though. Isabelle spilled half the flour mix on the bench and Yelena was trying to stop laughing as she mixed the ingredients. 

"Oh, this is funny to you, is it?" Isabelle said, still trying to scoop up the flour mix and tossing what she can in the bowl. 

Yelena didn't get a chance to retort as the dark-haired female blew a handful of flour in her face and looked far too happy about it. The blonde's face contorted into shock, eyes squeezed closed for a moment before she opened them again.

"Isabelle Grayson." Yelena's tone seemed to make Isabelle grin wider, her nose scrunching in that adorable way when she's really happy.

"The full name. I'm in trouble now." Isabelle grinned, watching as Yelena shook her head in an attempt to dust off the flour.

The blonde glared at her, a dangerous smirk replacing her lips, making Isabelle stop grinning immediately as her eyes widened. "Yelena, no. Come on, I'm sorry ..."

Yelena only smirked at her in response, grabbing a handful of flour in her hands while Isabelle sprinted away from her to the opposite side of table. The blonde chased after her as the two ran circles around the kitchen tabletop, giggling escaping both their lips.

But Yelena soon managed to trap her against the wall, a triumphant smirk on her face as the flour was now smeared on Isabelle's face who glared at the blonde as she tried to rub it off her face.

Yelena's sapphire eyes stared warmly into her hazel ones with playfulness and adoration, letting out a hearty chuckle as she stepped back. Isabelle's glare quickly disappeared and soon found herself shaking her head fondly. 

"Can we make cookies now?" Yelena asked with a smile.

Isabelle grinned, nodding at her. "Yes, we sure can."

And by the end of the night, they made more of a mess than making cookies.