xxviii.

★彡[ ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴛʜʀᴏᴡ ᴛʜɪꜱ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ]彡★

All in all, things were going pretty well, especially when there were three Avengers, sulking in the other room. Isabelle tried not to dwell on that, but she was unfortunately reminded of her current situation when a loud bang sounded in her room.

All four of the students jumped and Will fumbled with the TV remote for a moment, nearly dropping it.

"What the hell was that?" He asked, looking at Isabelle.

Just as Isabelle struggled to think up an excuse they heard the same sound again. For one horrible moment, it looked like Eddie, Emma and Will were about to go to her room to see what was wrong.

Maybe it was the fear of being discovered, but Isabelle suddenly found herself standing in her friends' way.

"Oh, uh, I think I left the window open," she said, the words spilling from her mouth without much thought.

"Must be the wind," she added with a nervous chuckle when the sound was heard again.

Isabelle didn't wait for a response as she hurried to her room.

The first thing she did was glare at Kate, who was sitting on her bed and throwing the cricket ball she'd gotten for her birthday which she'd told Eddie was not a proper present, though it was pretty fun, at Peter who was leaning against the wall near the window and caught it with ease.

There was enough force used to throw it that it looked like they were trying to see if if the other could still catch it.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Isabelle asked. "I told you to be quiet."

She sincerely wished she could yell because compressing all her rage into harsh whispers was starting to get quite tiring. Meanwhile, the three just stared back at her with an irritatingly calm look.

"We're bored," Kate said simply.

Isabelle gave her a deadpan look, and also took a moment to wonder exactly why she'd thought it was a good idea to make the three stay. 

Because at least this way the three idiots wouldn't get themselves killed, her mind supplied.

Isabelle let out a tired sigh. "Just wait a little longer. We'll be done soon."

She then walked out of the room and closed the door firmly behind her. Emma, Eddie and Will were looking at her like she'd lost her mind when she walked back to where they still sat. Thankfully, neither one of her friends said anything and soon the whole thing was forgotten amidst a sea of studying.

Just like Isabelle had told Kate, Peter and Yelena, it wasn't much longer until her friends said they had to leave. And as much as Isabelle enjoyed their company, she was glad to hear that because she still had three bored Avengers in the next room.

She couldn't help the sigh of relief that escaped her lips as she closed the door behind her friends.

"So, now can we talk?"

Isabelle would be lying if she said that didn't scare the crap out of her. She turned around to find Yelena in front of her and Kate and Peter leaning against the kitchen countertop.

"God, please stop doing that!" She snapped, taking full advantage of the fact that she could now speak above a whisper.

"To be fair, you should be used to me sneaking up on you," Yelena pointed out. "Now seriously, why was your phone tossed under the bed?"

"I don't know, I dropped it. Things like that happen all the time," Isabelle replied, walking past the blonde and started to pick up her books.

"We gave you that phone because you complained about not hearing from us, especially from what happened a few months ago," Kate reminded, following Isabelle to her room with Yelena and Peter trailing behind. "Because you said you worr-"

"If you say I worry about you guys, I will throw this book at you," Isabelle cut her off, setting her books down on her desk with an annoyed sigh.

"Fine, then we worry about you," Peter admitted. "And we feel better knowing you can at least call us if you need us."

"Well, I don't," Isabelle snapped, feeling angry and very much confused.

The hurt expression on their faces made Isabelle suddenly guilty, realising what she'd just said.

"No, no, I didn't mean- Ugh ..." Isabelle let out a frustrated groan. "Look, I'm just tired right now, I've been studying the whole day, now's not the right time."

Yelena exchanged a glance with Peter and Kate before she stared at Isabelle for a moment. It was always hard to read Yelena's expressions. And to Isabelle's surprise, she sounded very calm when she spoke.

"If you don't want us coming over, then we won't bother you any more." Even though the words were said calmly, it physically hurt Yelena to say them, and it felt the same way for the other three.

Isabelle really wanted to say that that was the opposite of what she wanted, that she will always worry about them and wanted them to stay, but being the dumbass she is, she remained silent instead and avoided eye contact with the three.

The silence gave the three heroes the answer they desperately hoped not for. Yelena silently walked over to the window, opening it and stepped out into the small balcony with Peter and Kate following after her.

Kate paused for a moment, looking back at Isabelle and seemed to hesitate before speaking, a hint of concern in her voice. "Just, be careful, okay?"

And then a moment later the three were gone and Isabelle was left all alone.