Darkness/Secrets Revealed

My heart pounded in my chest, as Donna lead me into an elevator, the small space making me feel claustrophobic and nervous, and when we reached some downstairs level of her house, she dragged me through the hallways, into a room filled with dolls and various weird shit I didn't recognize, and down a bunch of steps. My blood ran cold as we descended into pitch black darkness, my body shaking violently, until a flashlight clicked on dimly, allowing me to see damp stone walls, and what looked like a hole in the floor. "Quickly. Climb down into the well, and when Heisenberg has gone, I will come for you."

        I shook my head, cold sweat dripping down my skin. "No fucking way. I'm not getting in that dark hole." I felt hot tears begin to sting in my eyes, and could barely breathe, remembering how terrifying the hole Heisenberg threw me in had been, and I had no idea what was down in the dark in Donna's house. "I can't. I hate dark places.. Please don't make me go down there." I heard a small sigh, and then, Donna gently grabbed my hand, causing me to flinch. "I swear that nothing will hurt you down there. As long as you don't wander around on your own, you'll be alright." I shook my head again, my entire body refusing to go anywhere near that awful hole. "You don't understand. I can't go in there. Not after- Please, please don't make me go in there."

Donna muttered, "Stop being so afraid. As if I would let anything hurt you. I need you to trust me, and get into that well. There is nothing down there.. All the water was drained out years ago, and I've even put a few blankets down there to keep you warm. Please- If Heisenberg even hears one sound you make, he will take you away, and I will not be able to stop him from doing so." I grimaced, but muttered, "Fine." I grabbed the flashlight from her, and forced myself to climb down the rusty ladder into the darkness, instantly covering myself with the blankets, a chill already seeping into my skin, and I heard a whispered, "Thank you", before the sound of Donna leaving was heard.

After she left, everything was dark, and cold, and too quiet, my heart racing against my ribs, the sound of water dripping somewhere echoing loudly in the silence. I was fucking terrified, I won't lie. After so many times in the hole Heisenberg had tossed me in, I began to panic down in that stupid well, tears sliding down my face, my whole body shaking, and as what felt like hours passed by, I wondered if Donna planned on leaving me down there. The fear only got stronger, as a sudden dragging noise and creepy laughter echoed through the hallways above me, causing me to cower in the dark. What the fuck was that?? Did it know I was down there? Shit. Had Donna left me there to be eaten? Was she really that pissed that I asked her to be my friend?

           As the laughter began heading down the steps towards where I was hidden, a sharp sound like that of a slap echoed in the air, and Donna's voice quietly whispered, a hint of icy anger in her tone, "What have I told you about this basement? There is no food for you down here. Now, go back to the bedroom and sleep. I have things to attend to." The sound of something huge slithering away followed her words, and then, candlelight dimly shone down into my eyes from above. "Scarlet? Are you alright?" Without replying to the question, I practically raced up the damn ladder, past Donna, and all the way to where the elevator was, breathing hard and shaking, nearly having a severe panic attack.

        Minutes later, Donna appeared, and she seemed genuinely worried, as she asked me, "What is it? Are you alright?" I glared at her, tears in my eyes, and muttered, "I told you not to make me go down in that fucking hole. I can't breathe.." Everything started going blurry and white, and my legs went weak, causing me to fall, and I felt my body going limp from the lack of oxygen, when, all of a sudden, Donna's arms were around me, crushing me against her chest, and for some reason, just feeling her chest rising and falling with her breathing made me suck in mouthfuls of air, slowly calming down. "Can you hear me? Scarlet?" I nodded, and heard her sigh with relief, and then, to my disappointment, she let go of me.

          I went quiet, as she then walked into the elevator, and followed her, looking down at the floor, a bit hurt, as I realized that she'd probably avoid me again after we got back upstairs. "What did I do? Was it because I shouted at you? Is that why you keep going away?" I hated it, but my voice cracked at those last few words, and tears slid down my face. I couldn't help it, not after being alone for so long. Just the idea of being left on my own or abandoned broke my heart, and Donna kept doing both over and over, after she treated me so nicely, which made no sense. "I just- I've hardly ever been outside of the factory, so I don't understand much. Maybe if you explain what I did, I won't do it again." She stayed silent as we got upstairs, and left the elevator, and I tried not to cry, as I started making my way up the stairs to my room, not expecting her to chase after me after a minute, and quietly whisper, "Wait.. I promised you an explanation. I- I know you'll likely be afraid of me after this, but I owe you the truth. You haven't done anything wrong, I promise. I'm the reason we shouldn't be friends.."

       I blinked, and wanted to yank my arm away, but didn't, forcing myself to stay still, able to tell that she was wanting to run away rather than tell me whatever it was she was about to. "I'm not a very.. Good person. And you seem to be. I don't want you to see what I really am." With that, she lifted her veil up completely with one hand, exposing the right side of her face, which was the same as her left, until you saw her right eye. It was covered in some sort of growth, which went from her eyebrow to her cheekbone, but I didn't get it. I went to touch it, and she drew back instantly, looking away, tugging her veil back down. "Does it hurt?" My question seemed to get her attention, as her other eye glanced at me in shock. "What?" I frowned, and pointed at her right eye. "That. Does it hurt you? It looks like it hurts a lot."

            I felt horrible, and instantly teared up, looking down, yanking my arm away as tears started dripping down her face, thinking I said something stupid or wrong. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be a nosy asshole.." She whispered, "No- No, that isn't why I'm crying. You aren't.. Afraid of me?" I shook my head, and slowly looked up. "No. Why would I be scared of you? Aside from the obvious creepy dolls and things, you seem pretty nice. You also make me confused, but that's okay. I'll leave you alone from now on.. I know you'll stay away from me. Everyone's scared of me, too." I saw confusion cross her face, and I sighed, hesitating, before slowly moving my hair away from my left eye, and the eye I could see of hers went wide. "What happened to you?" I flinched as she went to touch my left eye, but held still, letting her look, then sighed.

          I hadn't ever planned on showing anyone my eye that way, but she had shown my hers, so I thought it was a fair deal, but the story wasn't nice. "I- Well, Lord Heisenberg discovered I can heal really fast, so he liked to.. Play games with me, and punish me for doing shit wrong, but the thing is, healing isn't really the same as growing back. He had one of his Lycans rip my eye out for fun, and I was wide awake, too. I can still feel the pain, and it hurts sometimes, when it's cold. I have more scars all over, if you want to see. They all liked to claw me to pieces and torture me, and see how long it took for me to heal." She had gone silent, and I was confused at the horrified look on her face, until she whispered, "He.. Did this to you?" I blinked, then nodded, confused. "Don't all the Lords punish people when they do things wrong?"

           I saw her flinch, and knew I'd asked the wrong question. I looked down, covering my eye with my hair again, and sighed. "Never mind. Just forget everything I said.. You can go away now if you want to. I just wanted you to know that if your eye is why you don't want to be my friend, then you don't have to worry, because mine is scary to everyone, too, and you don't scare me that much." She asked, "What exactly did Heisenberg do to you?" I instantly tensed up, and shook my head, and Donna sighed. "I understand. You don't have to tell me if it upsets you.. I just thought that like all the others, you would run away from me and hate me when you saw my eye. And yes, I do kill and hurt people, but only if I have to.. But I'm certain you knew that already. And yet, you still want to be my friend. You truly are special and different.. You are the kindest woman I have met in a very long time. I would be honored to be your friend, but for now, I have work to do." With that, she turned and walked away, but it was okay, because she had agreed to be my friend, and maybe, just maybe, I could finally feel a little less lonely..