Chapter Eight

Taehyung grabs the carving knife, turns on his heal and throws it in Yoongi's direction with as much force as he can muster.

Yoongi's years of training kick in immediately as he ducks his head– the knife narrowly missing him– as he crouches down and dives onto the floor, tucking into a somersault before getting his feet back under him.

As soon as he stands upright, he gets in a fighting stance, ready for whatever else Taehyung's got planned.

Taehyung does the same, spreading his feet just shoulder width apart, putting up his fists, eyes fixed on Yoongi's being.

Most fighters have tells. Lightning fast glances that you can catch them making in order to appraise and calculate any perceivable weakness in their opponent's defense.

If the fighter doing the appraising suspected or found something they'd qualify as a weakness they usually lean in the direction they intend to strike, giving away what direction their next movement will be heading.

But, Yoongi's eyes never leave Taehyung's. Never falter or flicker away to look anywhere else.

"Who'd of thought my sweet husband was a fighter all this time," Yoongi drawls almost lazily but Taehyung can tell it's an act.

The tension in his shoulders shows he is anything but relaxed.

"Who'd of thought my husband was a killer all this time," Taehyung deadpans.

For a few moments, they stand still, assessing each other, grounding their bodies and readying their minds as best they can for battle.

Then, Yoongi strikes.

It is without warning, not a flinch, not even a blink, to betray his intended move.

He grabs his fork that is next to his plate, twirling it in his fingers in a flash of shiny silver before throwing it at Taehyung.

Taehyung barely dodges the cutlery, ducking to the side with the whooshing of air ringing as it passes by his ear.

Everything else falls away immediately, leaving only their movements as Yoongi is suddenly crowding him, throwing punches.

Taehyung matches him blow for blow and an intricate dance of give and take ensues as each of them tests and challenges the other's abilities.

The first few strikes they'd thrown were simply to test what the other could do.

Now that they realize they are dealing with no amateur, the power behind each of their strikes has grown.

Forced to react without any time to think, Taehyung falls back on muscle memory and instinct.

Yoongi's style is a blend of forms that include several disciplines.

He is well practiced, a master of his craft undoubtedly as he moves seamlessly, blending methods and techniques together, picking what combinations and attacks work best against the skills Taehyung himself is showing.

Yoongi's techniques seem to rely more heavily on his fists and striking whereas Taehyung's strength relies more on kicks.

He is able to use his fists as well of course, but he's best defensively if he makes space to kick.

Yoongi notices this quickly and uses it to toy with Taehyung.

Weaponizing the observation to cut Taehyung's access to the space he's clearly trying to maintain between them to pressure him.