Austin's Story | Part Two |

[Two Days Later]

Quiet keyboard noises were what me and Henry had been hearing for a while and the entirety of yesterday.

Today, they finally stopped.

———

"Okay, I think that's it.", Henry said as he closed his laptop.

"Don't we need to proofread this thing?", I asked.

"Probably. Don't wanna go through it right now, though.", Henry shrugged, "Besides, we've got, like, four more days left."

I closed my laptop, "That's a lot of time, Henry. What should we do in the meantime?"

Henry glanced at the wall, "Well...I've been meaning to speak to you about the Wii."

I raised a brow, "Uh, what about it?"

"I think you should try talking to Kyle."

Hold on, what?

"What?", I looked at him, incredulous.

Henry put his hands up in a form of surrender, "Look, I know you guys didn't get along well, and y'know...the incident happened, but he's not that bad."

"Or, at least, not as bad as you said he was years ago.", he quietly mumbled.

I didn't respond.

"C'mon Austin. It's not like I'm forcing you to or anything, but-"

"It feels like you are.", I paused for a bit, "...You're going to, aren't you?"

"...Maybe.", Henry looked away.

I sighed, "Fine. I guess it's worth a shot."

"Great. Let's go.", Henry immediately got up, slung his backpack over his shoulder, and walked out of my room.

What the? When had he packed his stuff up?

———

I stood in front of the television as Henry turned on the console.

My reflection stared back at me from the black surface, my stance appeared casual, but tense.

Suddenly, the Wii menu appeared, just like I remembered it all those years ago.

Henry led the mouse to the Mii Channel, and pressed start.

I straightened my back.

Anytime now...

The Mii Channel appeared. Kyle and Sam looked up at us.

"You've grown, Austin.", Kyle said.

"Uh, thanks?"

This wasn't how I expected things to start...

"You're welcome.", Kyle appeared to hesitate, as if he had more he had been meaning to say.

"It's great to see you again, Austin! Hey Henry!", Sam waved and smiled, then gently nudged Kyle with her elbow.

Kyle looked at her, and they exchanged glances, having a silent conversation.

I glanced at Henry, who appeared a bit nervous.

I don't blame him. This is really awkward.

"Austin, I...", I snapped my attention back to Kyle, who was looking...guilty?

"I'm sorry for traumatizing you and your friend back then."

Huh?

I was speechless for a few seconds; Maybe Kyle did change these past few years.

I glanced at Henry, who just nodded at me.

What's that supposed to mean? This isn't some fictional story where two characters magically can communicate telepathically!

I looked back at Kyle. I guess there was only one thing to say.

"Apology accepted."

Kyle quietly sighed, as if a burden was just lifted off his shoulders.

"I don't apologize for electrocuting Henry's old man though.", Kyle added quietly.

"How bad was he?", I asked. Judging by the way Kyle acted, Henry's Dad must not have been very nice.

"We don't know much about him, but Henry described him as mean, which was basically an understatement.", Sam frowned.

I looked over at Henry with a raised eyebrow, hoping he got my message.

Henry stared at me for a few moments, then sighed dejectedly, "I've...never told anyone this, so promise to not say anything?"

"..Okay?", I slowly responded, " I promise."

Henry paused to gather his words, "...My Father was an abusive man. He mistreated my Mom and me, and was the cause of my Mom's depression."

He frowned, tears starting to well up at the corners of his eyes as he balled his hands into fists, "I hated him so much. He'd put me and Mom down verbally, and sometimes even physically."

A parent that's an asshole. I hate those kinds.

I placed my hand on Henry's shoulder in a comforting gesture, and frowned, "If you told me this before, I would've given him a good stomp in the face before burying him!"

"Maybe you should dig him back up, and then do it.", Kyle suggested.

"I'll take that into consideration.", I replied, "Though I oughta think of something else to do to make up for the missed opportunity."

"Maybe you should adopt a pet, and let it do it's business on his grave."

"...Y'know what? I might just do that.", I let a small smirk rise on my face.

"Not gonna lie, I have a feeling you two could plot the end of the world if you guys were left alone with each other, and the plan would work effectively.", Henry commented.

Kyle laughed, "Maybe."

"Honestly, Kyle?", I looked at him.

"Yeah?"

"You're not that bad."

His eyes widened just a bit, then he gave me a small smile.

"Thanks, Austin."

———

I tightened the white strap around my wrist, then glanced over at Henry, checking if he did the same.

"Ready?", he asked

"Fuck yeah I am!"

"Do you never cut down on swearing?"

"Hm...not really.", I shrugged, "C'mon, start it. I'm sure Sam and Kyle are starting to get bored."

"On it, on it.", Henry pressed the button.

The game loaded, and the screen split in half.

"You're going down, Henry!", I swung my remote, Kyle following the movement.

"Don't act so sure, Austin!", Henry responded, his expression determined.

Ding.

The game started, and I swung.