8 | No Flies Allowed

Facing them were monsters, or that was only what Dennis saw. Dogs weren't supposed to be that big, or scary. Their teeth weren't supposed to drip with blood.

Mona, on the other hand, recognized all three of them. While Dennis was wondering where Disha walked off to, Mona and Lucien stayed alert. She glanced at the self-proclaimed ghost, wondering whether she could read what was going through his head. Of course she shouldn't have trusted him! But why the dogs? Being ripped to shreds was a ghastly way to die. Besides, it was messy. Would that be Lucien's style? Not that it mattered anyway, seeing as she didn't even know what she was going to die for. 

"Where the hell did they come from?" Dennis whispered, grabbing Mona's wrists. She kept glaring at Lucien.

"What are you doing?" 

Lucien looked surprised. "What do you mean?"

"They are your dogs!"

"I have no idea—"

The creatures moved then, their teeth baring with bloodlust. A jump from all three of them was all it needed for Dennis to close his eyes and Mona to turn around— 

—only to see that there were more who joined the party. This time, instead of dogs, they were people with bandanas and guns, one of the barrels being the first thing Mona saw when she turned around. She gasped, stepping to the side, but the gun followed her cautiously.

With a quick examination, she saw that all of them had purple leather coats, apart from the distinctive bandanas. They were about seven or eight of them. Mona, Dennis and Lucien were easily outnumbered, even without counting the guns. She doubted that they would have been alive if not for how alarmed the gun-wielders were to see the animals. 

The dogs moved, the middle one's fur grazing her feet as it strode past, ignoring her. The guns were now pointed to the dogs' heads, and the almost-attackers looked startled just as much as Dennis and Mona.

"Well, I didn't see that coming," Lucien commented, leaning sideways against the wall casually.

No one else spoke. They were still trying to distinguish the darkness from the dogs, and Mona was distinguishing the villains from the saviors. The dogs came out of nowhere to their aid. And now they stood protecting them fiercely, their eyes boring into the guns as if daring them to shoot.

"What are you waiting for?" The lady in the front with red hair and a matching dress broke the silence. "Shoot the dogs and then them, you idiots!"

Before Mona could protest, the dogs growled. 

Dennis almost had a heart attack when he saw what happened next. More dogs began appearing on the scene, all of them in different colors and sizes.

"The dogs!" Came a whisper from one of the gang members.

Lucien smirked. "The wolves."

Dennis and Mona looked at each other, wondering what exactly was going on. The latter looked closer and realized that they were indeed wolves. The black dogs in the center weren't dogs at all. Their bodies were narrower and more covered with fur. A pack of wolves surrounded them, eager to tear apart anything that moves.

The lady in red hesitated. Even crows started arriving on the scene, perching on the walls, some seeming to want the entertainment, others excited to feed upon whatever that will be left. 

Lola, the one who commanded them to shoot, snapped her fingers and everyone lowered their guns. She didn't know a lot of things in life but even she wasn't dumb enough to be attacked by claws.

The black wolves seemed cautious. They silently walked to the pavement and lay down, two of them closing their eyes while one watched over the scene, ready to attack again if necessary. The rest of the wolves glowered at the gang before dispersing into the darkness.