19 | Her Friends are Unconscious, Unlawful or Undead

Three hours later.

Everything might have been chaos before, but it was even more so now. 

The Shadows were arrested, and so was the Crimson Clan. Basically, anyone with a gun pointed at someone else. Ambulances arrived on the scene, taking care of the dead person and unconscious Dennis. Like always, Lucien had temporarily disappeared.

After Mona was patched up, an officer stopped to ask for the full story. Reluctantly she said everything from the start, about the drugs and the Shadows, but leaving out a few details like how the informant was Fin. 

"How did you find us?" Mona finally asked the inspector who was filling up the report. 

"Someone in the event called us claiming that a man who was wanted for breaking and entering charges was here..."

So that's why Lucien disappeared, she thought.

"...but when our officers came to the scene, they couldn't find him. But they heard the shoutings outside and called for backup."

"But Crimson Clan was helping us," Mona said quickly. "Wouldn't they get off on self-defense claims or something?"

"Sweetie that is not how this works," she replied. "Moreover, we need to question everybody. Don't worry, the ones you said were 'Shadows' are going away for a long time."

"They found the drugs?" Mona asked hopefully. Some cops had gone to search Jerry's house an hour ago, but she hasn't heard any updates.

"No, but the guns they had were unregistered. The officers found a lot more firearms in Jerry's basement. Turns out, they were flourishing in illegal arms trade."

Mona's mouth fell open. "But the drugs are important too! Experimental drugs! How do you know there aren't more of it out there?"

"We'll search," the officer replied. "But in the meantime, don't worry. We know about them now so necessary steps will be taken, okay?"

Mona nodded.

"You said there's an informant," the officer continued on. "Would you be willing to tell us who that is?"

"Like I already said, he never told me his name," Mona lied with confidence. She didn't come this far to give up on Fin. "But I can tell you what he looked like."

"Good, I'll call you to the station later this week. Maybe the sketch artist can come up with an accurate portrait, yeah?"

Mona smiled in confirmation, though she was sure it was never going to be accurate. How hard would it be to say a random description of some total stranger that doesn't look like Fin at all?

"Can I go check up on my friends?" she asked, her voice pleading.

With the officer's approval, she walked swiftly over to the other paramedics. Dennis had woken up by now, and was looking at the scene rather hazily.

"Hello, sleepyhead," she sat down beside him, relieved to see him alive.

"What did I miss?" He asked groggily.

"A lot, but let's focus on you right now."

He laughed as if she said an absurd joke.

"What?" Mona asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You sound too much like Liz," he admitted. "I even almost called you Liz once or twice."

She shrugged. "That's okay."

"Not really, I almost did a lot of other things too. Like ask you out on a date," his eyes were questioning, as if it's something he thought about a lot.